3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best BANG for my BUCK??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might think I'm stupid for saying this, but it sounds like you REALLY want to build some HP!

Decent heads ain't cheap. You might consider getting a complete fair condition engine to build while you're still driving the truck, then you can take your time building it, as you get the money, then drop it in. Plus if you build BIG enough, you may want to consider tranny and drivetrain upgrades as well, Like something from Keisler Automotive or perhaps Sharadon.

Just some thoughts.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

As mentioned before, gears and torque converter really gives the truck an aggressive character. I would say do all the usual bolt on items, along with the gears/TC. It'll give you a new truck. And if you still want more than heads/cam install will really bring the earlier mods to life. Good luck...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, the best two things I have done are the superchips and the e-fan. the 5.9 really wakes up to the tuner. add it with a CAI and better flowing exhaust the motor will really wake up. the e-fan make throttle response much crisper and helps with mileage.

the intake manifold is called a hughes airgap, also harland sharpe roller rockers are suppose to help also.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
ok, the best two things I have done are the superchips and the e-fan. the 5.9 really wakes up to the tuner. add it with a CAI and better flowing exhaust the motor will really wake up. the e-fan make throttle response much crisper and helps with mileage.

the intake manifold is called a hughes airgap, also harland sharpe roller rockers are suppose to help also.
Yes the eFan makes the engine crisper. We know it eliminates fan drag but perhaps it also reduce rotating mass. Which helps to give a certain amount of snap. Back in the day, light wieght flywheels and small diameter TC would also help. Just thinking out loud...

Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Ramkiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Best BANG for my BUCK??" That is going to be trading in for a SRT8. Challenger, Charger or Jeep will certainly be a step in the right direction.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

On the 5.9 the 1.7 HS rr's give very nice gains and the install is simple.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
sinus19
Veteran

thanks guys! now i got a good MOD list and some great ideas!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 AM
I Ak Soul I

What about ignition. I'm not trying to hi-jack his thread but I hear that the ignition in these trucks isn't very 'great'... I guess my question is, are there any gains to be made there and if so with what?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 AM
rocket23
Champion

Depends on the year, imo an o2 is better than a 97. That said the o8's are the same as the o6's . the op never said what year his truck is. Yours is diff, than mine . See what I mean. there are alot of trucks for such a broad statement.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the op has an 02, and yes there are decent gains to be had with ignition upgrades!

Quick Reply: Best BANG for my BUCK??