3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gears on my 04 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember when rocket told southernbnb to be careful with his 4 wheel drive? sounthern had a 2wd truck. See you never know lol. yea my fault for not seeing that

Pointedstick, does your truck have the limited slip diff? If the rear end really got messed up its possible the LSD is damaged pretty bad. Will you be replacing that or going to an open diff?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Pointedstick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It dosent seem to bad, the pinion bearing went causing the nut to back off somehow.I was sitting at a stop light went to step on the gas BAM dirveshaft is laying on the ground. Looks like the pinion gear jamed into the ring bear busting a couple of teeth. Ill post a couple of pictures to day.I have the anti spin rear end. I have all the parts out now.

Last edited by Pointedstick; 05-06-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Pointedstick

Everything went well, all new bearings and seals and gears, set the pinion depth and set the preload thank god for the 3/4 drive jonson bar.I still have a small whine noise when stepping on the gas mabe I need to adjust the backlash a bit more. Other than that another job well done
THanks to all who posted help

Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i think you need to adjust some more. when properly set up it should not whine at all.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Cole's dad

Working at a differential is kind of touch and go if you don't get a certified shop to do it. I did just about everything you can do to a truck, bought a 2000 zr2 that had an accident, rebuilt it totally, changed the frame, and alot of other stuff, but i still won't mess with differentials. My buddy got a "mechanic" to do his dakotas rear diff and i was, he didn't even adjust it at all, he said you don't have to. I told him from what i have seen you can have too much backlash or clunking, or it could be too tight and hum. Anyways, my buddy ended up having to get it done over and i think it costed him like 6 or 7 hundred bucks. Definitely not something to play around with.

Last edited by Cole's dad; 05-13-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
4minc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pointedstick
Hello all
I seem to have blown up my rearend gears, I guess the pinion bearing went and the nut holding the pinion gear fell off, gear fell out bam no more ring gear and pinion, I have ordered a new gear and they sent me a 390 according to dodge vin number it should be 392, can I use this gear setup, How will it effect the 4 wheel drive. Thanks
I had the same problem when my rear end got re-done. The vin specified one size but what was in there was not what the Vin spec'd

Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4minc
I had the same problem when my rear end got re-done. The vin specified one size but what was in there was not what the Vin spec'd
it doesnt matter what the vin specifies. you can put whatever size gear in there you want. an improper install is what is going to cause you problem. or the retaining clips from a stock LSD.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Pointedstick
It dosent seem to bad, the pinion bearing went causing the nut to back off somehow.I was sitting at a stop light went to step on the gas BAM dirveshaft is laying on the ground. Looks like the pinion gear jamed into the ring bear busting a couple of teeth. Ill post a couple of pictures to day.I have the anti spin rear end. I have all the parts out now.
Am I the only one who is having some difficulties with this whole scenario? I do believe Pointystick is having some fun with us.....

Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Pointedstick

Am I the only one who is having some difficulties with this whole scenario? I do believe Pointystick is having some fun with us.....
No this is not having fun with you. The problem i had was the gear size. I know you can put whatever size gears in. just wasnt to sure about the difference in a 390 to a 392, Some one told me that it could do some dammage because of the gear difference between the front and rear in 4 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: Gears on my 04 1500