3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

There might be a CHANGE in plans!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM
4XLgatorfan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes down to it, it's your truck. IMO it will look good and should certainly provide the function for the way you use your truck.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Yep, if you go off road, etc. then it's a good idea. IMO, they look a little big on a non-lifted truck, but hey, it's your truck! That's the bottom line....If you like it, then get it.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Thanks for all the comments dudes, gonna think about this one before i go make that leap,its almost offraod as much as it is on the road, and its no show truck by any means, its all scratched to hell, but then again thats what happens when u take it threw the $hit i do, but def. going to think about it, and i will let u guys know soon enough...... now i got another question, since we are talkin about the weight in the front, wat about if i add a wench? HAMMER i think i read a thread u posted in the great outdoors about the weight of a wench on ur front end... wat do u think about this? and does the 4.7's come with the same front components as a hemi? thanks dudes

Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My Rancho kit replaces a bunch of the stock components with much bigger/beefier ones, like the knuckles and tie rods/ends, but the weight of the sub-frame, grill guard, winch, etc. basically are still supported by my torsion bars. Over about 5 years of this type of weight, I might have suffered about 1/2" of sag, but I've got WAY more than that amount of adjustment in my stock keys, which actually had to be lowered when I installed the suspension lift to be perfectly level. So whenever I can get access to a lift (my jacks won't get the front tires off the ground) I'll just adjust my torsion bars up a bit. You just may find if you're running the stock shocks, you may want to get a bit stiffer ones.
You'll be fine, but if you are thinking winch, then that is NOT the grill guard to buy unless you plan on fabbing up a winch mount and welding it on...

Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do a lift before I bought that thing.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

But NOT a body lift...

Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, because that would be a pain to do this later with a body lift

Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

thanks dudes!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoss67
Thanks for all the comments dudes, gonna think about this one before i go make that leap,its almost offraod as much as it is on the road, and its no show truck by any means, its all scratched to hell, but then again thats what happens when u take it threw the $hit i do, but def. going to think about it, and i will let u guys know soon enough...... now i got another question, since we are talkin about the weight in the front, wat about if i add a wench? HAMMER i think i read a thread u posted in the great outdoors about the weight of a wench on ur front end... wat do u think about this? and does the 4.7's come with the same front components as a hemi? thanks dudes
really think a winch will be better suited for ya, A welded wench to a bumber won't get you out of a snowy parking lot imo.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

well as i had a previous post about muddin and i went last night, and all future mods are on hold lol, broke my front right strut, truck needs re aligned again, put a dent in the left rear bumper from almost rollin it, scratched my new tips up, and had to take apart the AC fan and clean it so it would work again and it was all worth it, had the best time in my life, but again i was also at a double kegger so its hard not to, my buddy is emailin me the pics tonight and will post them, i think i should be able to get the bullbar still, but we will see... oh and i had to pull out a 1979 ford 454 big block with 37s out! gave my buddy hell all night about it...

Quick Reply: There might be a CHANGE in plans!