3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

opened the pumpkin for maint and found this

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is some bs work right there. You need to go down there and give that guy a good piece of your mind.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
That is some bs work right there. You need to go down there and give that guy a good piece of your mind.
I agree and I will

Originally Posted by chambers
Yea I'd look into getting those 2 ring gear bolts in pretty soon, but the gears look OK, can't really see the pinion too well. Are they starting to whine some?
Yeah I am going to call Motive and find out what they are and but two. I did check all the others with a wrench and they all were tight....thankfully

They are starting to whine. They always did from 60-70 a bit but now seem to do it alot more and in a wide speed range. Thats why I popped the cover to inspect them.

Originally Posted by MOPAR78
Man, that sucks weed. I'll be doing my own when the time comes. Best of luck!
I started to but i paid him 250 to do it and i didnt see the need to buy new and special tools to do it myself for a one time deal.

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
uh oh. Sell me your Auburn for cheap so you can get a new unit in there
Ha Ha Ha....Nice try.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, all i can say is wow.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really sorry this has happened to you Weed.
He's very obiously not known about notching the pin etc and just did what he thought he could, to "get away with it"......the install.
As for the 2 ring gear bolts, the installer who did my DTT insisted, that I get a complete new set. From memory I think he said something about the old bolts being stretched (a bit like old head bolts) and the installation manuals on stuff like this say to install new bolts.
Either way, get 2 new bolts or indeed all new bolts, to make sure that with a large application of thread lock, these little suckers don't come out again.
Like you, I'm sure that these bolts must have been missing in the insall, otherwise you'd have already had a pulped reaar by now.
Good luck.
Al.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abarmby
I'm really sorry this has happened to you Weed.
He's very obiously not known about notching the pin etc and just did what he thought he could, to "get away with it"......the install.
As for the 2 ring gear bolts, the installer who did my DTT insisted, that I get a complete new set. From memory I think he said something about the old bolts being stretched (a bit like old head bolts) and the installation manuals on stuff like this say to install new bolts.
Either way, get 2 new bolts or indeed all new bolts, to make sure that with a large application of thread lock, these little suckers don't come out again.
Like you, I'm sure that these bolts must have been missing in the insall, otherwise you'd have already had a pulped reaar by now.
Good luck.
Al.
If lost in the pumpkin you would of found them in a hurry! they are probably in the bottom of a drain pan somewhere. Goes too show you your best instincts are not always the best way. Did the noise go away? And did you replace those bolts yet ?/ i would of done that before buttoning it up.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

$250 install is pretty cheap. I guess you do get what you pay for.

For anybody else thinking the dealer is the best place for gear installs... NOT!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

I know it's after the fact but, I thought it might help to explain what the installer should have done, when he installed the new gears.
Al.
http://www.ringpinion.com/TipOfTheDay.aspx?TipID=7

Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What a moron. I'd be afraid that he grinded that away so much that it has offset the balance and maybe causing a vibration and making your ring/pinion amplify the sound??????
Just because he did it on the side don't mean he's not liable for unexplained damages. If he's a total dink when you talk to him, I'd see about filing small claims court for the replacement of your carrier.
I would have either done them myself or have went to a shop that guarantees their work because of problems such as whine and damaged caused by them.

If you dont wanna go through all that, I would go to the dealership he works at and tell them you want your problem fixed and when they say you didn't have it done there, tell them that d*ckhead talked you into having it done by him at his place..haha They will be all over him from taking their business away and they may just can his ***. Many places are like that when their employees are sneaking in business on the side that take away from them. Some even have legal documents you sign to sign away your rights for that crap. For the limited few companies that do that, i believe it's only applied to customers that have already been serviced by them and not new unheard of customers????
That carrier would **** me right off, more so than the whine.

Quick Reply: opened the pumpkin for maint and found this