3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

opened the pumpkin for maint and found this

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry opened the pumpkin for maint and found this

Well my gears have become a bit more noisey so I decided to open them up last night and change the oil and do an inspection.

Everything fitment wise looked good but what totally blew me and pissed me off was two other things I found.

Now my oil wasnt bad. Ity only had MAYBE 10k on it. I got the guy from the local Dodge dealership who works on rear ends for Dodge to do my rear end on the side. I had a brand new Auburn LSD, Motive 456s and a Motive Master install kit. Everything was brand new and not opened.

Anyway, it seems not only as I missing TWO bolts from my ring gear but I also have mechanic inflicted GRINDING done to my Auburn LSD. Foth those that do not know, 456s in certain housings require the cross pin to be flat notched to clear and so there is no binding. Even on other housings the back of the housing itself needs a bit of grinding but NOT THE FREAKIN LSD unit itself.

This is what you get from mechanics when you do watch them do the work yourself. Sure everything got installed and everything is ok and working fine. But where did my missing two bolts go? They are NOT inside the pumpkin and if there were missing or lost HE should of told me and I would have gotten two more bolts to replace them.

As for the grinding on the Auburn LSD, NO excused what-so-ever.

I am so pissed at this guy for cutting corners and doing this BS.

Sry for the cell pics. I left my good cam at work.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, it's tough to find a good ring and pinion installer for the 9.25 chrysler rear. The guy should know what he's doing since he does it at the dealership. I'm lost as to why anyone would grind the carrier, have you had a chance to talk to the mechanic who did it?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

wow...thats some chit sorry weed...is so bad that they will need to be replaced or is it run-able....

Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Trupiano
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooooh... Looks like I'd be makin my way back to that dealership mighty quickly with a big stick and the receipt for the work. Like you said it looks like the LSD will be ok, even though that's b.s., but those bolts definately need to be replaced. Sorry weed, looks like you cant trust anyone these days. Especially the *Stealership!

Old 05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Trupiano
Ooooooh... Looks like I'd be makin my way back to that dealership mighty quickly with a big stick and the receipt for the work. Like you said it looks like the LSD will be ok, even though that's b.s., but those bolts definately need to be replaced. Sorry weed, looks like you cant trust anyone these days. Especially the *Stealership!
it was done on the side so i doubt there is a receipt... sorry weed that sucks

Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, done on the side. But you are right, being he works at the dealership i went with him because i thought him of ALL people would know what and how to do it. Because it was on the side there is nothing I can do about it but complain. And I have not spoken with him yet because I found this last night. I drained it, cleaned it, sealed it and put oil in it this morning because I had to go somewhere.

But I will be calling him although it wont change anything at all. Its just the overall issue itself that sucks azz.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Trupiano
Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
it was done on the side so i doubt there is a receipt... sorry weed that sucks
Oh ok, well that's crap. Still, I'd go down to the dealership where he works with just the big stick then...

Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Yea I'd look into getting those 2 ring gear bolts in pretty soon, but the gears look OK, can't really see the pinion too well. Are they starting to whine some?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM
MOPAR78
Veteran

Man, that sucks weed. I'll be doing my own when the time comes. Best of luck!

Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh oh. Sell me your Auburn for cheap so you can get a new unit in there

Quick Reply: opened the pumpkin for maint and found this