3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vararam??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
michael138
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vararam??

thinking about gettin a vararam for my truck will it help to improve my mpgs by much if any?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 AM
mc35
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask glass3222....he just put his on, and is shown in the thread he put up today.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM
RACERAM9
Professional

all depends on how you drive, i saw 1-1.5 mpg improvment

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Most people don't see any MPG gain from ANY CAI and I think those who do, are kinda easing off with the right foot probably without even realizing it trying to get the best MPGs possible after adding one.
Now that's not to say a CAI is not a good mod, it is and helps a LOT of other mods work to their full potential.
If you are doing this working toward a goal like better flowing exhaust, heads, etc. Then do the CAI. But if you are looking for straight out better gas mileage with better gains in HP than a CAI can offer with just one single mod, then I'd look to do an e-fan...

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I've ran a vararam for a few years. No doubt it's a good performer, but the gains over other intakes hardly justify the cost. It's performance alone simply does not justify the price. I look at it as if I spent $100 for an intake, and $200 for an under the hood visual mod.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
michael138
Rookie
Wink

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Most people don't see any MPG gain from ANY CAI and I think those who do, are kinda easing off with the right foot probably without even realizing it trying to get the best MPGs possible after adding one.
Now that's not to say a CAI is not a good mod, it is and helps a LOT of other mods work to their full potential.
If you are doing this working toward a goal like better flowing exhaust, heads, etc. Then do the CAI. But if you are looking for straight out better gas mileage with better gains in HP than a CAI can offer with just one single mod, then I'd look to do an e-fan...
What will an e-fan do for me?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Frees up the few ponies sucked up by the clutch fan at idle and very low speeds. If you do a lot of city driving, you will see a modest mpg increase and a little more pep off the line. Once you're under way, there is no difference in mpg or accelleration.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I'd suggest you do a search, as this comes up every week or so. But in a nutshell, free up some really decent HP (especially considering the HP per dollar spent) and it's probably the ONLY mod that you will actually see more than pay for itself in fuel savings without having to wait 100,000 miles for it.

The stock clutch fan is a pretty bad parasitic drain on your engine, especially at lower rpms before you build up engine speed to compensate for it...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM
michael138
Rookie

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I've ran a vararam for a few years. No doubt it's a good performer, but the gains over other intakes hardly justify the cost. It's performance alone simply does not justify the price. I look at it as if I spent $100 for an intake, and $200 for an under the hood visual mod.
Why did you stop using it I live on a gravel road and when I go to the lake every weekend I drive down a real long gravel road will that be ok with the vararam or any other cai. Do after market cai really get colder air than stock? Cause the stock gets air that isn't right by the motor but cai suck from right there next to it except for the vararam

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I still use it.

Most CAIs do not actually get cold air. They basically suck up air from the same place as the stock box. The real magic comes from removing the restrictions caused by the "hemi hat" and the small intake tube on the stock box. More air is better air. The VR is the only TRUE cai as it actually gets air from outside the engine bay. If you can swing it, and you like the retro look, there is no doubt that the VR is better than a typical filter-on-a-stick type intake.

No worries with the gravel road, that's what the filter is for. I run mine on the beach, in tropical storms, dusty dirt roads, blizzards, no issues.

Quick Reply: vararam??