3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

add a leaf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of different add-a-leafs. They can range anywhere from 1" lift to 4" lift. Obviously, the more lift, the stiffer they get. Also, don't confuse an AAL with a helper spring.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

And you don't want to confuse an AAL with an "overload" spring, which is just a flat piece of iron that stops the spring from bending in the opposite direction. I don't remember if the 1/2 tons have them or not.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

im pulling my addaleafs out soon if you are looking for some.....im going to switch to blocks and airbags for different towing reasons. they are the ones that came with the Fabtech 6" lift I believe.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 AM
hunter49

Lots of ideas here!

So blocks seem sort of sketchy, add a leaf has potential to make it ride like sh*t but shackles seem to be the best idea?

RF,
How much work is it to put the shackles in? I'm only looking for about 1" lift in the rear.

Thanks for all the replies

Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

2 bolts per shackle.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frog your rearend is very sexy

Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

So your 6" lift came with an add-a-lift and blocks? and you swapped the blocks for shackles? Any additional lift from using shackles instead of your blocks? Can you post a link to the shackles you got? Im very interested in copying you.

"I got some shackles in the back.. ya know if you're into that kinda thing heh heh. Nah im just kiddin. But seriously, I got em" W.h.i.t......e

Old 05-21-2010, 08:31 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
Frog your rearend is very sexy
You should see my man *****!

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
So your 6" lift came with an add-a-lift and blocks? and you swapped the blocks for shackles? Any additional lift from using shackles instead of your blocks? Can you post a link to the shackles you got? Im very interested in copying you.

"I got some shackles in the back.. ya know if you're into that kinda thing heh heh. Nah im just kiddin. But seriously, I got em" W.h.i.t......e
My lift came with just one giant block for the rear. I don't mind a small block, but a 3.5" block was just too much for me. It looked like doodoo. I pulled the block out and replaced it with a 2.5" AAL and a 3" shackle.

I got the shackles off of ebay. Search for 2nd gen drop shackles. Sounds weird but it has to do with the different way the shackles mount between the two gens.

The thing to remember with shackles is that you only get half the lift due to geometry. A 3" shackle (meaning 3" longer than stock) only lifts you 1.5". The reason is that you are only lifting one side of the spring. The front shackle mount stays in the same place as stock. Think of a board laying on the ground. You lift one end of it 3" and then go measure the height in the middle of the board. The middle is only 1.5" off the ground, because the far end is still on the ground. Our axles mount in the middle of the board (spring).

Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

You've inspired me. As soon as I get off this government computer, I'll check out ebay. I want the rear another inch higher because i feel like its not quite level. I have a 1" block now that came with the Fabtech lift, so 3" shackles would be perfect. Thanks for info. You can keep your man *****

Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My Arnott airbags actually lifted the back 1/2" when I put the minimum of 5lbs air in them. Each few lbs of air in thereafter, the bags slowly raise the back up even more. If I have 20#'s in them with the bed empty, my *** end is roughly 1" higher than stock. If I put in maximum 100psi in them, my back is 1.5" higher than stock, so the air raises the back initially, but after 20-30lbs, it doesn't raise much higher after that.
I would say get airbags personally because I ride around with 20lbs al the time and the ride is great. Not much stiffer than stocdk at all.
Install took me less than 1hr and there was no drilling or welding involved. Super easy install in my books. Did them on my back in my driveway. Paid $225 shipped off egay.

Quick Reply: add a leaf?