3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help.....Main engine cooling clutch fan.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help.....Main engine cooling clutch fan.

How do I definatively tell, if my clutch fan is goosed?

My temp gauge is still pegged at one needle width below halfway, on my Hemi engine & there are no funny noises from the engine/clutch fan assy.

But, the fan is easy to stop by hand after several rotations (with a welding glove on) when the engine is fully warmed up and I think the clutch should be fully engaged at this point, to cool the engine.
My reasoning being that the fan should not be slipping and be fully engaged when the engine temp is at normal operating temps, to allow for maximum cooling. I don't think I should be able to stop the fan by hand at this point, or it should be very difficult at least?
Help
Al.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took mine off to do the e-fan mod, I noticed it's obviously turned by the serp. belt and by the smooth side at that. Stopping the fan from spinning on a relatively smooth surface doesn't seem hard at all.

Unless your belt has lost a lot of it's tension, I'd say you don't have a problem. Go out and check, let me know of the results because I'm curious now. Just my

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the ***** to stick your hand into the fan?

As far as the clutch... if you're runing at normal temp than I would think it's ok.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilentRamAD
When I took mine off to do the e-fan mod, I noticed it's obviously turned by the serp. belt and by the smooth side at that. Stopping the fan from spinning on a relatively smooth surface doesn't seem hard at all.

Unless your belt has lost a lot of it's tension, I'd say you don't have a problem. Go out and check, let me know of the results because I'm curious now. Just my
My belt tension is I believe OK, as my alternator is being driven without a problem. Plus the AC compressor is fine as well which puts a lot of load on the belt when it's clutch engages.
I'm going to let the truck cool fully down and try what the manual said, that I've just read.
I didn't know a test/diagnosis section about the fan was in there??
Apparently, the fan should stop turning after 5 or so revolutions when the truck is completely cold when hand spun..

I stuck my well gloved hand ever so gingerly onto the fan blades a little at a time until it stopped RubberFrog lol.
I do have big B***s though ha ha ha.
Al.

Quick Reply: Help.....Main engine cooling clutch fan.