3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Condenser fan replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It is possible to change it w/o discharging the system. Just get out there and do it. LOL

Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM
tg1toomany
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huaa

Hope you had a good weekend, I will update this thread when finished.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
ghammond

@tg1toomany I'm wondering how it went? I have a '03 3.7L V6 that I need to change the condenser fan on. My understanding is it should be the same process for me as for you.

I bought the whole fan but if I have to cut the shroud I was thinking I would replace the motor on it. I would rather cut the shroud and JB Weld it back together than discharge the system.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM
tg1toomany

When I did the install I used the entire assembly. You can do like was prior said and cut the housing at the point were the plumbing needs to pass. Then just plastic weld the one seem were it was cut.

The trouble however is not with the plumbing or the cut that needs to be made. It is with the PIA space that you don't have. Moving the shroud into position without wrecking your cooling fins is a little tough. But just like weedahoe said "just get out and do it".

Thanks to the brain power on this board. I had a very good experience, no bleeding knuckles, broken car parts or anything I need to call my insurance agent about.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
ghammond

I don't know if I had a little more room to work with since I have a v6, but it turned out to be a pretty simple job. After unclipping the line in front of the radiator on the bumper leading to the condenser I was able to work the whole thing up and get the fan off pretty easy. I had to work it straight up though because the fuse box prevented it from going back much.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
snidehockey
Rookie

I just started a new thread asking this question, but - how did you guys get the fan blade bolted back onto the motor?

I can't tighten the bolt without the shaft spinning too. There's nothing to grab or hold to provide the opposite torque to tighten it.

(yes I know it is a crossthreaded or reverse threaded bolt.)

Quick Reply: Condenser fan replacement?