3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome 20's corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 02:08 PM
cwoods
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrome 20's corrosion?

I got the same answer. I talked with the service manger again, and told him I talked with DC and they need a report logged in before they can begin helping me. He replied back to me saying he talked with his District Manager and "he" is the one who makes the desicion. He will take a look at it next time he's in (DM). So I figured we could set up an appointment.....no..he comes in every 2 to 3 months....the service manager will call me when he 's in.

So come monday morning, I am going to call DC back and try to deal with them (I have the email stating the above from the Service Manager....called left message and no return call). Also I am going to a different dealership to see what they say.

I have to say.....if this doesn't get resolve quickly ....for one I will never by a Dodge again....number two, I would love to see what the local news thinks about a story.....but I'll keep that in my pocket as a last resort.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:43 PM
bpunk360
Rookie

my friends 20"s on his 04 did the same thing. went to the dealer n said wasnt covered so he decided to just live w/ it....

Old 05-15-2005, 11:54 PM
RAMINAL02
Amateur

I see tons of chrome wheels peeling and chipping. I work for a firestone store. Most problems are caused by wheel weights on the outside edge or curb scrapes and small stone chips. Its doesnt take much to start messing up a wheel. I personally have seen no problems yet with DC chrome wheels yet but I'm expecting it wont be long. Once any kina of moisture gets into chips in the wheel its ust a matter of time. Using a good wax on the chrome will help keep moisture out.

Keep on DC for some new wheels though. Call consumer affairs if need be. We joke about it at work that their number is 1-800 get it free) but its works.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:03 AM
cwoods
Rookie

Just to clear things up a little.......it's not the chrome covers on the 20's.....it's the aluminum wheel, the edge of it. I haven't had any problems with the fake chromes yet. There is a finish coat on the aluminum that is pealing off.....after that the aluminumn oxidizes and looks like crap.

No update yet though....plan on calling DC today and I have another dealer lined up to take a look at it.

Thanks for everyone's info. And anybody else who's know about this problem and have had it warrantied or not...let me know. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Jim

I have an 04 QC with the same wheels and have the same problem after this past winter. The closest dealer to me (not where I bought it) told me he had replaced too many wheels and was getting pressure from DC to stop. He told me to take it back to the dealer I bought it from. Oh and I was there getting my chrome front bumper piece replaced because of rust and getting the rear chrome bumper polished because of surface rust. I bought this truck new last August and I can't believe after having it for only six months (at the time) I had all this rust all over the place. It's unreal.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
cwoods
Rookie

My service manger told me the same exact thing. They said they were replacing a lot of wheels and DC is now not covering them under warranty. I bought my truck last July....only other rust is on the tail pipe, but I have the sport package so it's all painted bumpers.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
IrishRagE

I'm sure everyone knows not to use certain wheel cleaners on those wheels. Too corrosive and will strip the protective coating.....just making sure.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:56 PM
cwoods
Rookie

Good ole' soap and water for me......mother's chrome polish for the covers...but thats not the problem.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:32 PM
IrishRagE

GJ bro....just making sure. I used bleech white on my wife's tires before I realized that her chrome couldn't handle it. Thank god no damage was done and I removed it quickly enough upon reading the arnings. I never had chrome before her wheels...you live and learn I guess.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I hope all of you that have the fake chrome covers realize that they are made of plastic, so they will pit more easily than a chromed metal and that using mothers on plastic isnt a good idea either...

I have had my Hemi for right at a year now with 25,000 miles on it and have had no issues with pitting, clear coat peeling or any of the above listed problems, must be an issue that only exists with yall up there in the northern states because of the crap they put on the roads for ice/snow(aint seen the stuff here in Dallas for 2 years now).

Quick Reply: Chrome 20's corrosion?