3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome 20's corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 AM
cwoods
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome 20's corrosion?

Has anyone had any trouble with the stock 20's? Refering to the aluminumn edge chip / pealing, possibly becuase the winter weather? I talked with the dealer and he said that Dodge refused to warranty any wheels...it a fact of life, live with it. So I have 12K on my new truck and the wheels look like $h!t.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrome 20's corrosion?

I have the 20's on my QC. I've only had it for less than a month, but I bought it from my boss who owned it for about a year and a half. They practically look brand new...nothing wrong with them. I'm in South FL though. If your's have gone through snow/ice/roadsalt, then I can see how they can probably chip/corrode. I could see where they would not warranty them, but just for the hell of it, I would call Dodge themselves, and see if you can talk to somebody about it. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 AM
cwoods
Rookie

I'm on hold with DC right now. At first they are saying it's not covered....wear and tear. But on another forum someone had their's covered by the dealer, but not replacing it, but refinishing the surface. If they would pay for refinishing the surface, that would be fine for me.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
cwoods
Rookie

Ok, they came back and said there was no record of it at the dealer. So they advised me to call the dealer back and schedule to get it looked at (and they have to document it). Appears they never documented it, it was verbal. After that, I can call DC back and they will review it again (so I am guessing it depends on what the service manager writes). They change their position to "might" be able to help. I told them about refinishing it, but I am still not assuming the cost. Called the service manager back and left him a nice message to document it, even if he wants me to come back down. I've been nice so far, so hopefully they will work with me.

Anyone else have this problem? I would like to see if anything was warrantied or not?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope they can help you. I've read several folks having trouble with the 20's clearcoat and corrosion.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
lawdogdusty

Hate to use the sayin but, The squeaky wheel get the grease... Just keep callin and complaining and eventually they will give. I had the same problem with a Chevy Tahoe and they told me "Normal Wear" I threw a temper tantrum about one a week to the dealer as well as General Motores and about 3 months later I received a letter that my new Wheels were in So keep on em.. My 2 Cents..

Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM
cwoods
Rookie

I plan on it. I don't plan on taking no for an answer. Keep asking for someone higher to talk with. If no one will settle, I am sure the local news would like a story on how Dodge's customer satisfaction is.....

Old 05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Avanti
Captain

I had a friend who just had the same issue with a chrome bumper on his year-old Ram. Same song-and-dance from the Mickey Mouse dealer... until he got huffy and actually showed them a copy of his bumper-to-bumper three year warranty. You'd think it come out of the dealer's pocket.

Bottomline, he got a new bumper under warranty.

Give 'em hell! Wear-and-tear is pure BS!!!! However, Chrysler isn't the only one to have problems, read on...

Now, the facts-of -life according to my chrome plater... chromed aluminum wheels have always been a problem, especially where the chrome meets the bead. Often chrome that otherwise seems okay, lifts when a tire is broken down. Hence, on wheels I always recommend going with a good polish job on aluminum on wheels--other apps are fine. And, I have LOTS of stuff plated, just not alum. wheels!

All the best.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:18 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I've got a problem with one of my chrome wheels. It's stange that only 1 in a set of 4 is messed though. I was down the ground washing them, and I noticed thousands of little tiny spots on the chrome, you can't see it from far away, but up close it looks ugly as hell, and I only had the truck a couple of days when I noticed it... I took it in to get it documented, but the manager or whomever has to approve part replacing wasn't there, so they told me to come back another time.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Avanti
Captain

"but the manager or whomever has to approve part replacing wasn't there, so they told me to come back another time."

How convenient... for THEM! Go back soon!

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Chrome 20's corrosion?