3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome 20's corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Aidy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrome 20's corrosion?

I have a 1500 hemi 4x2 RC with the 20" wheels and have this problem on 3 of them. But as i live in the UK there is no manufacturer warranty!!!! if i had i would want them changed...

Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
cwoods
Rookie

Yea, you live an learn. I've had chrome wheels on my vehicles....you have to maintain them....keep them clean or protected during the winter. The plasitc chrome covers are still in good shape right now.....who knows about next year.

Yes I live up north where we get snow, ice....use salt and sand on the roads.....but if there is a know problem then dodge should either warn the consumer on buying this product or not offer them up here. If I would have know they were going to look like crap after a year I would have selected different rims...since they offer different style rims.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
cwoods
Rookie

Thanks for the post Aidy. Sucks that there is no manufacture warranty over in the UK. No protection from the consumer getting screwed!

Old 05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
cwoods
Rookie

Update:

Talked with DC again today and let them know my problems and how they are being dealt with. I stated the 2-3 month wait to have the area rep look at them is not acceptable. The talked with the service manager, and he again stated it will be 2-3 months and he will give me a call. I told DC again, this is unacceptable. From there they asked me to call back the service manager and make an appointment to see the rep, that they will call the dealership again and request the local rep to schedule an appointment.

Also the sevice manager told DC that he wanted the local rep to make the decision because it looks to be envionmentally cause (winter conditions). So I responded to that by stating they should have some type of warning to the consumer if they want to purchase these wheels (in northern US) if they are going to break down after onen winter. Not to mention if I would have know this I would have picked another set of wheels and not the 20's.

So I stated again, I would like to meet with the local rep ASAP to resolve this issue. And it will not be an acceptable answer "it was caused by the environment you live in and will not be coverd under warranty".

If the winter conditions eat away the finish on your paint with 12K on the vehicle....do you think that's acceptable? If that happened I am sure they would do something to fix it.

I'll keep you updated.

Anyone else who has had these problems and coverd under warranty would be of great help. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
cwoods
Rookie

Update: [:@]

I just got off the phone with DC. They told me the district manager denied this to be covered under warranty because it looks to be caused by the environment. WHAT NEXT???

I asked them to speak with someone at the next level and they said they have no information on who else I could talk to. The district manager has the say.

12K on a 40K truck and it looks like crap....and no help from them!

So what should I do next? Any help?

Old 05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Jim

I can't believe that was his response. I guess I would go around to the different dealers and see what happens. I haven't pursued mine with the dealer I bought from yet, but I will be soon and I'll let you know what happens.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a friend of mine had this issue, so he used very light sand paper and sanded everything down, then had them cleared.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:19 PM
cwoods
Rookie

Well I talked with another dealer, he said this issue has happened a few times, but it has to be approved by the district manager. He said wait until the district manager meets with me and if he sticks with his initial repsonse, not to cover it under warranty, then bring it to them and they will warranty it. (I live close to MA so instead of calling another NH dealer, I called a MA one.) So it was admitted that this is a know problem that has happened to a few RAMs. So I will wait patiently to meet with the district manager and take it from there.

I would use sandpaper but that will cause it to peal more, then next winter I will get more corrosion / oxidation. It needs to be re-coated.....thats what the other dealer said was done under warranty.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I just got off the phone with DC. They told me the district manager denied this to be covered under warranty because it looks to be caused by the environment. WHAT NEXT???
I guess this means that they are going to get rid of the corrosion warranty on the body panels too? I know it's for perforation, but c'mon. If I have a rust bucket in a few years I'll be PO'd. They are already ditching the 7/70 for 06.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
cwoods
Rookie

I don't know abou the corrosion warranty....but that doesn't cover anything but body panels.

I heard the same....06's they are rid of the 7/70..........must be because they have had too many problems and don't want to pay up.

After this BS and all the BS I don't think I will ever buy a Dodge again....defintley not the dealer I bought mine from. Customer Satsifaction my a$$.

Quick Reply: Chrome 20's corrosion?