3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Are you makihng sure the mixture of coolant to water is correct?
Yes..............Weeds right.
If you put too much water and not enough antifreeze in the mix, the coolant isn't as effective in cooling.
It also reduces the boiling point of the mix and could give the symptoms your describing AF_HEMI???I guess it would.

Al.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Nope I was using 50/50 mix. I had the whole system completely drained from doing the cam swap. I used 1 gallon of 50/50 mix, then filled that jug half way with water and concentrate to make my own mix. no guess work involved -- its always 50/50.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
tafet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a way to check the cap. Most caps have a pressure relief built in. Maybe it is going bad and open at a lower pressure thasn disigned and spaying a little coolant around. A couple of ways to see if coolant is getting into the cylinders might be to smell the exhaust. You might smell it burning. You can try pulling the plugs and see if any might have crap building up on them. This last way is you by this stuff (i forgot what it was called) into the radiator. It changes color or flouresce or something if there are exhaust gases present in the coolant. Hopefully someone might remember the name.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

You can check for head gasket leaks by starting the truck and letting it idle with the radiator cap off, looking for bubbles coming up from the tank. If you observe a steady stream of bubbles, it is probubly a head gasket. If it is spraying out around the cap, it most likely is a bad cap, overpressure should be going into the reservoir, not out of the cap. If you see bubbles, or just want to make sure, here is a link to a kit that sniffs out combustion gasses in the radiator. if the fluid turns a certain color, it indicates combustion gases in the radiator, and a bad head gasket or cracked block or head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-VIE...motiveQ5fTools

Last edited by Horseapples; 05-31-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: possible problem