3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheapest way to get better sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheapest way to get better sounding exhaust

I posted this in another thread, but not sure if that was the place to do it, by kind of hijacking someone else's thread. That along with hardly no answers, I decided it woulda been better to start my own thread. Sorry, I am pretty new here and not sure of any "unwritten rules" Every forum has their own set and seem to vary, so please forgive me if doing this is frowned upon, just lemme know and I will make sure not to do it again.

Anyway, I am looking for the cheapest way to make my truck sound better. Even if it is just temporary. Or if there is something I could piece together a little at a time as I have the money to do so. I really don't want to spend more than $100...at least at one time. I intend on doing a hoe brew T style CAI soon...but need some more ideas for exhaust. Reading here I have found that Magnaflows seem to be the most popular option, and once I have money I will most definitely go that route, but I just want to do something now. I do like to go out and drink "soda" so I don't want something that will attract a ton of attention on those nights. At first I was considering just drilling some holes in the exhaust pipe, but decided that may make it sound stupid; so after research here, I considered cut outs (no not the electric kind...just the plain $20 ones at JCW that have a plate and 3 wing nuts) but I think that may be a little on the too loud side. Don' get me wrong, I love open headers...when I am at the drag strip, but for a daily driver...not sure if it is my style. Any opinions, ideas, comments are welcome...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cherry Bomb Vortex or extreme, less money and a great sound! Even better performance!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
dublduty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the old muffler off and install a glasspack for 30 bucks. She'll scream then!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a muffler, and have it welded in for like $30-$40. muffler will cost between $50-$100 depending on which one you get. should take a muffler shop like an hour to do. and works the same as a full catback.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 AM
kitch03ram

i cut my muffler right out and welded a piece of 3 inch pipe in its place. sounds better than all my buddies chevys put together. they wondered how much i spent on my system haha. probably not the best option but it sounds decent and i been running it a year strong now.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by kitch03ram
i cut my muffler right out and welded a piece of 3 inch pipe in its place. sounds better than all my buddies chevys put together. they wondered how much i spent on my system haha. probably not the best option but it sounds decent and i been running it a year strong now.
Everything stock all the way back to the new piece of pipe?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

I looked under my truck and am a bit confused as to what to cut out and replace with straight pipe. There is a catalytic converter off of each manifold, then what appears to be a resonator and into a single pipe to I'm assuming the muffler (like 3 ft long 1 ft around) then up over the axle and then another resonator or something, and then the tail pipe

Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM
dublduty
Professional

Cut out the 3 foot long section(muffler) and leave the resonators alone.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

all i did was cut out the muffler and get a magnaflow muffler welded in. costed me about 150 canadian all resonators are still in place and it sounds sweet.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

The raceland Cutouts are what $99, it'll let you be loud when you want it and quiet for those nights when you dont want to be heard. Its also not the same as a staight pipe which sounds like chit in my opinion, and should be quieter since you have the stock muffler in it as well (some of the exhaust will go through the cutout but not all of it, probably about a 80/20 split between the cutout and muffler).

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get better sounding exhaust