3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeakn front coil spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 01:29 PM
thumper1977
|
Default squeakn front coil spring

I had my truck aligned about a month ago it has 65,000 miles on it and its a 04 2500 with a cummins! So anyways it like over night developed a squeak in the front and it could b replicated while bouncing on the front end so took it to the alignment shop and they said it was in the coil at the base and the only fix for it was to put rubber hose around the base of the coil! So if anyone has any other fix I would sure appreciate it! I have an appt to take it back to have that hose fix done next Tuesday and if sumthn simple can be done so I save 200 bucks I would appreciate it and spraying lubricant doesn't help it either!

Old 06-03-2010 | 01:35 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I've never heard of that one. I know that sometimes bad ball joints can cause that same sound you think you're hearing with bouncing up and down on the truck. I've never heard anyone needing to put a rubber hose on the bottom of the spring bucket. At the least just look at it and see if the bottom of the coil (the end) is still in it's proper place in the indention in the bottom of the bucket. It may be possible but some other people may chime in here.

Old 06-03-2010 | 02:37 PM
thumper1977
|

I just know that I had them guys check everything out as far as bushings and upper and lower ball joints! Cause I had an 01 1ton that the ball joints went out around 65,000! So that was what I was concerned about and they said everything looked good cause they unhooked everything on the drvrs side and worked the A-arm and that was where the noise was and when the coil was removed and the A-arm wrked no noise was present so its in the coil cup on the bottom! I don't know but it irritates the hell out of me is all I know!

Old 06-03-2010 | 03:08 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

That's what I am saying, there's a specific spot that coil has to sit in the bucket in the bottom. Maybe they didn't reinstall it properly and now it's squeaking. When I put my lifted coils in, I had one that did that and I had to pull it back apart and sure enough, it was out of the indention about a half an inch. Put it back where it's supposed to be, no squeak. Just a thought though. It doesn't have to be out much to make that noise.

Old 06-03-2010 | 03:25 PM
thumper1977
|

Well I will have to check it out! But I'm just confused since it did it like 3 weeks after the alignment? Thanks and hopefully that is the case!

Old 06-03-2010 | 03:54 PM
JMaxx93

I don't have any expertise in this field, but.
I don't think the noise can be replicated while there isn't any load on the suspension components..

Old 06-03-2010 | 04:03 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

You can replicate it like he did by having someone jump on the truck and you underneath and listen. That's how I found my problem.

Old 06-03-2010 | 04:38 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I have picked up a piece of gravel that lodged next to the spring and caused a squeak. But it has always gone away after a day or two. This sounds more like a ball joint your talking about. Good luck.

Quick Reply: squeakn front coil spring