3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whirring from rear end....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whirring from rear end....

yeah i said it ... i have a whirrrrrring coming from my rear we pinpointed it to the back im gonna have to find a shop and have them take a look at it....there goes my drop kit by august....hopefully ill catch it before its too bad or im just a paranoid skitzo that hears too much...but im afraid it may not be the case...i did do a fluid change with good fluid and additive not long ago and found what was classified as normal shavings on my magnet this sucks right now cause i know its not a cheap fix and if i have to do it im gonna do it right....no no 4.56 here to tall of a gear for me maybe 4.10 and nothing higher....i hope this isn't a bad thing i dont know what else it could be....the truck was fine before i left for my honey moon and it just sat the whole time i was gone i know this for sure....when i backed down my driveway tonight to go get some groceries it made a odd movement or a gliche or something it made me pull back into the drive instantly and i updated my s/c today with new stuff and re-tuned the truck and that was the first drive after that, it was not from the trans i have not done any adjusting there yet i haven't learned enough about it....what else could it be? any ideas or opinions....

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

So it's got the OEM anti-slip in it then? Look long and hard to find a shop that knows their way around the chrysler 9.25" rear b/c the ring and pinion install is not something any mechanic can do.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your seals and diff fluid as well, water in the diff fluid can cause problems.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

diff fluid just changed -3k miles ago with trans-x posi-trac limited slip gear oil additive for gm,ford and chrysler was told that would work great.....seals wouldn't it leak if the seals were bad?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it the gears you hear whining?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

thats what im not sure of mike i gotta have somebody who knows what to listen for listen to it....im hoping not...to be honest...cause thats a good chunk that could be going somewhere else....i dont even know where to take it to be honest ....i dont want that shop to be all yeah yeah thats it shove it up my ..... and still ask for a good night kiss....

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Do you have a OEM LSD? If so than you already know what is needed. If it whines at low speed you might be able to jack it up, disconnect the shaft and turn the rear end over by hand and see if you feel anything. But basically you will need to pull the cover and inspect everthing. As a option, I would suggest looking at a SRT10 rear axle with a 4:10 gear out of a wreck. The spring pads are already flipped. And I'm pretty sure you can bolt your brakes on it. This will keep your cost in about the same range as a DT/TT upgrade. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sell it and buy a 2500 no lsd to worry about , no c-clips to fuss with .

Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

thanks ramhunter those good words...but really im not into getting a new truck i owe enough on this one still....and nick at airram has 4.10 for 200 made by motive i dunno if they are good or mediocre...any suggestions im gonna try and find a shop today that will do a estimate or at least listen to it....

Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

okay i had a guy listen to it today from school and he's been dealing with a lot of rear end issues with his car lately he's dropped 2 rear diffs in a month so i won't be going where he did to have his done....but he rode with me to the store during break and said it sounds like bearings cause when a rear end is bad it howls a lot louder than what i have going on...i just got home and i'm gonna look up some shops to see if they do free estimates or at least diagnose it for me.... anybody else have any advise...

Quick Reply: whirring from rear end....