3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4:56 gear install

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Duroc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be a reasonable cost for a shop to do this install.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duroc
What would be a reasonable cost for a shop to do this install.
All shops prices will be diferent, but I would say a reasonable price for 4:56's would be about $400. I would first make sure the place will warranty their work if there is any whine or install issue's.
Many, many garages will do the install and not help the customer if there is noise or whine after the install. they give the excuse and tell the customer that noise/whine is normal for pefformance gears. That's BS. it's all in the install.

Another thing, the saying "you get what you pay for" has no bearing on gear installs. What makes a good install is the mechanics experience and NOT the price. I would ask to speak to the mechanic who would be doing the install and make sure they have done a Chrysler diff b4.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Local 4 Wheel Parts will try to get $2000 for a pair of 4.56s, install kit and labor but they can be talked down to about $1600.

I have a local shop near me I've sent a few guys to now, they have a guy there who's been an axle man for about 25 years and I've never heard a hint of a whine out of any that he's done. They charge $600 an axle for parts and labor or roughly $300 for the parts and $300 labor per axle.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got quoted 250 for labor on my install....with warranty/guarantee that there will be no whine or noise...has been in business for 20 years doing trans and diffs...hes a speed shop...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Great price guys. Sems like everything here in upsate NY still has the city price tag..blows.
jusjay, does that price include the install of all new bearings/seals including the axle bearings or just new carrier and pinion bearings? Cuz, hot diggity dawg that's a good price..lol

Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats just the master install kit that come with motive 4.56 gears from moes its the best price i could find on the parts...and this guy said its prolly the best out there...and his work it guaranteed to not whine squeal or whatever he just cant warranty the parts...

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
sbsga
Professional

the only special tool you need is the tool to loosen and set the preload which is available for rental at some autozones, and most snap-on and matco guys have one sitting in their trucks for purchase as well. its not a difficult job. you dont need a press. I did my own front and back and it doesnt take very long. just drop the driveshaft, remove the wheels, then dismantle the differential(its just a matter of bolt by bolt), pull the center pin, push axles in and pull out the c-clips holdin them, then they pull staright out( replace the center pin as soon as axles are out so the spider cluster stays in place). then put your special tool down the axle housings and loosen your carrier tension. once youve done that remove the carrier straps(get someone to hold it so it does not fall on you), pull out the carrier. remove the ring gear and a good trick is to take the carrier thats going back into the truck put it in a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer overnight. this will make it much easier to lightly tap your new carrier bearings on either side. install your new pinion(also easier to do if you place in the freezer as well). then reassemble, just make sure your torque specs are right on the carrier as well as the the ring gear bolts. its not hard to set the carrier tension. the torque number is in the haynes and chiltons manuals. and its suprisingly light(low in. lbs). also make sure the pinion nut is torqued to spec or you will over crush the pinion sleeve and you will have to do everything all over again cause your pinion depth will be off. you can send me a private message for more. alldata pro lists this process as a medium difficulty, but the manuals dont have anything as far as instructions cause they recommend ase certified techs for the job. the only off the wall tool that will come in handy besides the carrier tool is a slide hammer to remove the old bearings.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
sbsga
Professional

and overall cost for both axles with all bearings and fluids was 750 for me.also the bearing/install kit should come with a yellow paint package, applyit straight to the ring gear and spin the gears,, then inspect the teeth to make sure it has a proper and consistent patern. then some brake parts cleaner will get it off easily. the gears will come with install instructions and a diagram of how the mesh pattern should be, and also some troubleshooting tips if its not. i have motives from moes and no noise. no whine, nothing. just a better driving truck.

Last edited by sbsga; 06-14-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you rock sbsga!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 PM
sbsga
Professional

i dont know about that,,,,im new here but i feel somewhat accomplished that i did something hammer diddnt try,,,,he seems to be an endless supply of knowledge and helpful links, guess thats why he is an admin, he was the one who hooked me up with moes and got me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: 4:56 gear install