3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4:56 gear install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
JUS RAMIN IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4:56 gear install

Im looking to swap out my stock 3:55s for a set of 4:56s as i have heard alot of great things about them. I have been looking around and am trying to see about doing the swap myself as money is the issue... Wondering if anyone has anything on the install of the 4:56s pics would help as well. i will be getting a new carrier as well so looking at getting the regular 4:56s apose to the thick gears. any help apreciated

Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats something that really needs to be done by a good gear tech you gotta find somebody who is familiar with the Chrysler rear-end as i wouldn't take it to just anybody i have been looking for a good guy for 2 weeks now and i think i found one who was recommended by a reputable speed shop round here....and 4.56 and a master bearing set is less than 3 bills on moesperformance .com

Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I would pay someone to install them ....I had them installed by a professional and after a couple of weeks when I returned to have the gear oil changed he needed to do a little adjustment to the backlash. If money is an issue I would hold off until you have the cash, just my opinion. Huge Difference you will love them !

Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have a hydraulic press and pinion depth gauge and alot of know-how you can do this yourself. if the pinion depth isnt perfect your going to be tearing up the whole unit.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

MOST mechanics sub out gear and axle work to axle shops, so that should give you an idea about trying to do this yourself. To date, it's the only mod on my truck I've not attempted myself...

Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I did mine myself (4.10's) in my old '01. It did end up with a little bit of whine after. Can't really tell you how they held up, I traded the truck about 2mo after I put them in. The dealership did tell me that the tranny went out about a month after they sold it. Wonder if it had anything to do with all the wheeling I did in it. 318 auto. in a 4x4 QC with 3.55's & 35" BFG's puts a lot of strain on the tranny.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Plus keep in mind with 456s you need to notch the center pin to get clearance

Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done at a defunct Dodge dealership, excellent trained mechanic, stripped the axle and installed a DTT/4:10 gear in about 4 hours. Changed the oil about 800 miles later and it was spot on. It makes no noise, which the original 3:55's had a slight noise around 40-45 mph. I highly recomend jobbing this out to the pro's. Good luck.. OBTW, this is a great mod.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
JUS RAMIN IT

alright well i guess im going to have to start looking for someone to do this job for me but if anyone has any pics of install steps or any other information so i can better figure out weather or not to deff have someone else do it or not... i am pretty mechanicaly inclined so think i can do it just as long as i have some good instructions maybe some pics and the proper tools. thanks again for all the feedback already..

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JUS RAMIN IT
alright well i guess im going to have to start looking for someone to do this job for me but if anyone has any pics of install steps or any other information so i can better figure out weather or not to deff have someone else do it or not... i am pretty mechanicaly inclined so think i can do it just as long as i have some good instructions maybe some pics and the proper tools. thanks again for all the feedback already..

I am very much mechanically inclined and I must say, you WILL cause more problems and hassles and you will not get it correct if you have never done a gear install before. It is No easy task for beginner mechanics. Absolutely, positively do not do it yourself.
There are a number of special tools needed. The cost of those alone would cover the install labor.
Also, if you have 4wd, you MUST do the front diff along with th back or you will break your transfercase and possibly more.

You must get the pinion depth correct, ring gear backlash correct, and pattern contact correct. If you don't know how to read contact patterns, you will be totally lost and is the key to a no noise install.

Your talking about trying to save a few hundred bucks that will likely cost you more in the long run because you will probably be paying for a shop to correct any issue's you have made.

There are TONS of install articles on the internet. o some searches but make sure it is a 9.25" Chrysler diff as they use spanner type adjustments for backlash..etc

Quick Reply: 4:56 gear install