3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fogs on with High Beam fix for 02-05 guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Gasturbine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to add my fogs and driving lights. I live in the boonies, so I have the whites on my high beams. I have the fogs off the parking light circuit, so if I leave the switch on, they will still go off when I turn off the factory park/light switch.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
BTW John M: You fish Sinclair at all? I lived in Vidalia for 11 years, used to tear 'em up on Sinclair! ...
Nah, haven't been fishing in like 25 years. As a kid I could get all the catfish I wanted with just worms & a cane pole under the Hwy 441 bridges. I know it lacks the flash of "real" fishing but I probably had just as much fun as the people in the fishing tournaments do!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
I had to add my fogs and driving lights. I live in the boonies, so I have the whites on my high beams. I have the fogs off the parking light circuit, so if I leave the switch on, they will still go off when I turn off the factory park/light switch.

I'm curious about this setup. I don't have fog lights, but I'm thinking about getting the kit (I think dodgeparts.com has them) and installing fog lights. The relay is already in the fusebox, along with the fuse, but no switch unless I add one or replace the headlight switch with the one that has the fog light switch built in.

If I can identify the proper wire for the parking light circuit, especially if it's already under the dash, I can easily rig up a fog light setup similar to this where the fogs go on with the parking lights and work with parking, low, or high beam headlights.

On my Escape, I moved a single wire under the dash and connected it to another to allow the fogs to work that way. It was a big plus on that car, since the high beams weren't all that bright, and didn't put much light down low or to the sides like the fogs do. Basically, if the fogs are aimed the way fog lights should be aimed, they fill in the close region that the high beams miss.

Never got pulled over or questioned about them - but, I don't use the brights when I'm near traffic so I'm certainly not blinding anybody.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
I'm curious about this setup.
If I can identify the proper wire for the parking light circuit, especially if it's already under the dash, I can easily rig up a fog light setup similar to this where the fogs go on with the parking lights and work with parking, low, or high beam headlights.
Tom,

I just got under the dash with a test light, and started poking wires untill I came across one for one of the dash lights, and tapped into it with a Scotch Lock. Same deal on the high beams, but I did that right at the headlamp.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Go_Green
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Scotch Lock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Automotive Electrical Engineer's nightmare. I hate those things...very destructive to the copper.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Go_Green
^^^^^ waiting patiently for link.
Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi
Search Function.. took about 15 sec.
Originally Posted by Go_Green
Thanks, but ya don't need to be an *** about it. I searched quite extensively but never found the DIY thread...just a bunch of junk about how the newer trucks can't do this. I wouldn't have asked for a link before searching.
Really? Because just moments before you asked what the Power wire does. A simple search will tell you that in about 50 different threads.
He started it...
First of all Mega, he didn't start anything and frankly I could care less who started what. Hammer posted up about a foglight fix without any information at all other than a link to a super expensive programmer and merely a pic. While he initially posted up a fix for the 06+ guys, it was a tease and was confusing for some so I changed the title to 02-05. Now, the Fog fix is in another thread...FAQ section i believe?
Now, Go Greeen asked a few posts back about a link and had no response so he posted up again. While I agree that the seach function can be utilized to find things...again...the whole purpose of this thread was to show the fog fix which gave no instruction so who's to blame?? Hammer for teasing and tricking guys, myself for changing up the tile, you for starting chit, and Go Green's response that wasn't needed although he already politely asked.

Gasturibine, you gotta be super careful about backfeeding power into the TIPM for all 06+ guys. Also, you can't just go tapping wires into another as that draws excess current through a single wire and likely more than it can handle. You MUST use a relay with diodes to gt the job done. I have figured a way out, but I have since been so busy and haven't had time to draw anything up for guys. Dong the power trick at the relay is a bit diff than probing wires under the dash although not much diff entirely. I personally wouldn't do the relay tap myself, but I'm relatively picky and overly cautious.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The original post was tongue-in-cheek, aimed at a couple of '06+ owners who had asked REPEATEDLY for a fix to have the fogs and high beams stay on at the same time.

I had posted the fix for this for '02-'05 owners in the FAQ section some time ago.

This was an (at the time) $8000 scanner, very similar to the ones the dealership used to change almost EVERY setting in a Chrysler vehicle. The StarScan tool was (and still is) the only way I know how to do it short of re-wiring the enitre fog light setup.

'Dog went and frigged with the title in an attempt to clear up confusion for the '06+ guys and now guys with the '02-'05s are coming to this thread looking for a fix.

Go to the post I have in the FAQ section...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-23-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Fogs on with High Beam fix for 02-05 guys!!!