3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think I changed my mind on tire size... :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Snoopie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I changed my mind on tire size... :)

Okay,
So I think I changed my mind.. at first I was going to go with 37x13.5x17 toyo open country m/t's... After looking at some pictures and thinking about it a bit... 37's might be a little more than I need... and it will probably suck gas pretty bad...
So, I think I am going to go with 35x12.5x17 tires... wanted to run this by you guys first to make sure I got it right
I could get away with just a level (Minimum?) for 35's but a 4" lift would work better to fit the 35x12.5 right?
I will need new wheels? (stock ones still won't work for the 12.5 wide right..?)
With the 4" lift I won't have to worry about rub right?
If I changed my mind back to the 37's... I could still fit them in the 4'' lift? I believe ramhunter said this..
If I went with the 35's my 3.73 gears should work fine right? Still plan on 4.56 gears but... looking at what I can do sooner rather than later...
35's with a 4'' lift... does that still take a bit of a toll on the gas milage?
Thanks for your input and patience on the same subject
Also, if anyone has pictures of a 4" lift with 35's or 37's please let me know as I'm curious to see the differance on the truck. If possible
I have looked at pics but, it doesn't always say what is on the truck.. so.. I know you guys love your pics anyways, lol

Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopie
Okay,
So I think I changed my mind.. at first I was going to go with 37x13.5x17 toyo open country m/t's... After looking at some pictures and thinking about it a bit... 37's might be a little more than I need... and it will probably suck gas pretty bad...
So, I think I am going to go with 35x12.5x17 tires... wanted to run this by you guys first to make sure I got it right
I could get away with just a level (Minimum?) for 35's but a 4" lift would work better to fit the 35x12.5 right?
I will need new wheels? (stock ones still won't work for the 12.5 wide right..?)
With the 4" lift I won't have to worry about rub right?
If I changed my mind back to the 37's... I could still fit them in the 4'' lift? I believe ramhunter said this..
If I went with the 35's my 3.73 gears should work fine right? Still plan on 4.56 gears but... looking at what I can do sooner rather than later...
35's with a 4'' lift... does that still take a bit of a toll on the gas milage?
Thanks for your input and patience on the same subject
Also, if anyone has pictures of a 4" lift with 35's or 37's please let me know as I'm curious to see the differance on the truck. If possible
I have looked at pics but, it doesn't always say what is on the truck.. so.. I know you guys love your pics anyways, lol
ok ....37's on a 4' lift is what you see in the sig .
you can do 35's with a level of 2' and be fine
screw the gas miles you drive a mega cab , should have done your homework .also the bigger the tires the higher the lift the worse the mpg's are going to be .
and by doing just a level you might have to trim not sure , and your articulation will suffer . 4" lift and 37's with 4:10 gears and i have no problems on or off road .

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Snoopie
Amateur

lol... thanks ramhunter
I did do my homework.. I'm not expecting like 22mpg in the city lol... I'm just wondering if it's a drastic change from what I get right now, which by my standards is pretty good
If your truck is 37's with a 4" then hmm I might actually go with that... cause your rig looks f****** sweet lol.
Thanks for the info

Either way I am going to need aftermarket rims right?

Last edited by Snoopie; 06-18-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Go_Green
Rookie

You do not need aftermarket rims. I have 35x12.5x20 Mud Grapplers on my stock 20's...no problems and they fit & wear great. Even have room under the bed for a 35" spare mounted on the steel wheel.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Snoopie
Amateur

Originally Posted by Go_Green
You do not need aftermarket rims. I have 35x12.5x20 Mud Grapplers on my stock 20's...no problems and they fit & wear great. Even have room under the bed for a 35" spare mounted on the steel wheel.
what is the width on your stock 20's? I have 17x8 stock rims.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
nateroach
Veteran

I believe that the 20's are 9.5" wide. Running the 12.5" wide tire on that 8" wide rim is going to be pushing it. A lot of people say 4" larger than wheel width is the max tire width, not that it can't be done, just recognize the potential for problems.

nateroach

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Snoopie
Amateur

Originally Posted by nateroach
I believe that the 20's are 9.5" wide. Running the 12.5" wide tire on that 8" wide rim is going to be pushing it. A lot of people say 4" larger than wheel width is the max tire width, not that it can't be done, just recognize the potential for problems.

nateroach
Okay, good to know. I'll have to go with aftermarket then. Thanks guys

Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
FlexJohnson
Rookie

I had 35x12.5 on my stock ride with NO rubbing at all.. I have 37x13.5 on my 5.5 inch lift and had minimal rubbing at full lock (only had to take about 2 inches off plastic wheel well liner and you cant even tell).. Being that you are a SA, you should have any issues with what you have planned tire and lift wise... I have 3.73s in my truck and they move the tires just fine but I do have 4.56's in a box sitting in front of me waiting to be installed once I get some free time... Here is a link to picks of my truck with 37's..
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-promised.html

Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Go_Green
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snoopie
what is the width on your stock 20's? I have 17x8 stock rims.
Ahhh...I thought you had the 20's...apparently I suck at reading comprehension this morning. They are wider than the 17's, I measured mine but can't remember. I'm thinking 10" but that might not be right. All I know for sure is that they will take a 12.5" wide tire.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Snoopie
Amateur

Ic, good to know Green.

flex, what size are your rims?

Quick Reply: I think I changed my mind on tire size... :)