3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any one use platt. or irudium Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:32 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any one use platt. or irudium Plugs?

I know every one swears up and down to use the champion copper plugs, But has any one gone thier own way by not using champion plugs?

NKG platt. plugs, I'm considering putting thease plugs in my hemi, Yup, I have reserached here and view the opions that platt plugs run to hot and not great in the hemi.

My last plug change took me three hours and was a pain, now the oem champions at 100,00 km are due for a change, the old hemi is not running great with the old champion plugs and in the past, I have had no problems running plat plugs in Fords, old school gm 305 and 350's.

SO, let me know how platt plugs. run in the hemi, if you have gone thier, running a cooler plug should take care of any running hot issues and at best the new champion plugs run great to 10,000 km and than not so great...

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in auto zone recently, that guy tried to sell me platinum plugs. He was saying his computer was calling for them as oem.I waiked out. Needless too say At 3hrs too change, unless you like doing that sorta work, try it. You wont find many here. imo/.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM
abarmby
Champion

I've had NGK Irrid's for 50K.
No probs and still running strong, on both petrol and LPG gas.
Al.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The problem appears to occur when you try to remove 'em. If they stay in long enough, they don't wanna come out. There's a thread somewhere about a guy with an SRT-10 who had to have the heads pulled to remove the platinum plugs. He broke two or three trying to DIY, then the dealer broke several more. They wound up pulling the heads to get the plugs out.

I put NGK 5306s in both Hemis. Both are running fine, but it'll be five years or so before they're due again. When I changed the plugs in the C, the OEMs looked pretty good. The gaps were in the .0050-.0053 range at 49K. The Ram went 86k before it got plugs. They didn't look so good.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

A side from increasing intervilles betwean spark changes, Will I gain any performance and improve my mileage with a Platt. or irridum plug? With the champions I notice better mpg in the first 3 to 6 months, and Than performance and mpg start to suffer.

My firts priority is avioding spark plug changes every year and a half, I eat 50,000 KM quick!!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Last I saw any real dyno numbers was on an '05 RCSB 4x2 Hemi and it actually had worse numbers with platinum plugs, but not by enough to make any felt difference while driving. The school of thought here is that the Hemi performs optimally with simple, inexpensive copper plugs and plug change interval as recommended by Chrysler is 30k regardless of type of plug used.
If you are adamant about longer change intervals though then I would use a platinum plug as they do last longer then standard copper plugs.
Me personally, I use copper Champions and plan on giving up half a saturday to a plug change every 30k miles, but for me, that's a plug change every 4 years...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-18-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
I was in auto zone recently, that guy tried to sell me platinum plugs. He was saying his computer was calling for them as oem.I waiked out. Needless too say At 3hrs too change, unless you like doing that sorta work, try it. You wont find many here. imo/.
that's what happened to me recently. This lady told me auto light plats. were oem.. an was trying to get me those. 7 bucks a piece.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:06 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

ngk v-power here...good ol coppers im with hammer on this one id rather change em when the manufacturer suggests....than risk a good ol app. with the dealer or a suitable mech for an unwanted teardown....

Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iridium 2 Temps cooler here, only do 10-12 K (kilometers a year) so haven't looked at them since they went in last year. I must say It takes along time before there is enough black soot on my tailpipes to justify pulling out the SOS pads but every mod I do is an experiment and so far I haven't had many problems. The safest bet is like Hammer said, take the time and live with the 30K changeout period, you will get so good at it that you can do the change in an organized manner in 30 to 60 minutes if you get right in there with good tools.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Heres some info that may or not be true. I'm speaking threw E mail with a regional rep (U.S.A) for NGK spark plugs, I was reasured that NKG PLatt plugs are a direct replacement for the copper champions plugs, no need to run a colder plug and if Hemi 6.1 engines roll out of the dodge engine shops with NKG dbbl. plat. plugs, as I have been told by the regional rep, than the debate of cooper vers platt plugs in the hemi has unleashed some interesting questions.

Chances are I will be going with a NGK platt plug, only because my expierances of hemi ownership are really hard on the champion plugs, if the PLatt plugs don't work than its my expensive mistake, if the platt plugs do work than ITs really costing me the same as copper plugs if I get longer service out of the platt plugs.

I don't know who to beleave and the truck is now off warenty, So i'm going my own way on this one, to be blunt, after 10,00 km with new champions, my truck doent run as good.

Quick Reply: Any one use platt. or irudium Plugs?