3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Its a sad sad day...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Its a sad sad day...

The perfect start to a friday morning... get in my first accident and ticket ever and I dont have anyone to blame except myself ....

I had just got on the freeway, there was a guy in front of me about a car length a head and this lady wanted to squeeze in between us to get on as well. I so fall back a little so she can move over but then she slows down even more. I checked the lane next to me and there was no one there, no one in my blinde spot so I put on my blinker and started to merge over. Going about 60 in a 65, I get halfway into the lane and this other guy comes out of no where and starts coming into my lane. I wasn't thinking and slammed the steering wheel the other direction, a little to sharp for going 60mph and the rear end broke loose and I start to fish tail. I let off the gas but I was already my back tires wer already to far gone so i tried to correct myself before I hit the person in the other lane and ended up fishtailing in the oposite direction, caught it before it hit another person and tapped the brakesto attempt to get control, that made things worse as it caused the truck to whip around backwards, I ended making a huge backwards doughnut through 4 lanes of traffic, not hitting a single person during rush hour (someone was looking out for me there) and ended up facing the lady I was tryng to go around. Her front driverside bumper hit my front driverside bumper and bumped my now stalled truck perpedicular to the middle lanes of traffic. I was then able to restart the truck and make it to the HOV lane and get over to where she was. She was a little shaken up but not hurt. Her front bumper had a broken headlight, minorly dented front fender and front bumper. Mine looks fine, the front painted part on the bumper looks scraped but there are no dents, bumper looks good, no damage to the headlights or fogs. The steering feels really loose though and my hands are still shaking and its been 13hrs since it happened, got a $130 ticket which Im heading to traffic school for so it goes away.

It unfortunate, it was my fault I have had situations like that come up before where i have had to swerve back to my lane thousands of times but for whatever reason this time around that slight over correction just severly f'd things up.

The cop was cool about it though, I got a ticket but it was far less than what it should have been. Guess a little respect and coopperation goes a long way.

Now Monday morning I get to have the my insurances claim person take a look at it for the visual stuff and I get to explain the sloppy/loose feeling in the steering (I have a feeling the front shocks are gone).

Anything else I need to quadrouple check from going 60mph forward to 60mph backwards in about 5 seconds? (oh checked to see if it through any codes but nothing popped up)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man that sucks. gals no one was hurt and your okay!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM
shadow11
Veteran

S*** happens. At least both of yall are ok and both yalls cars weren't too seriously messed up.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

You did good by not tearing up a lot of cars. People could have been hurt. I have slid mine around a little a couple of times. Good luck....

Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

No answer to your question, just glad you're safe partner (and everyone else as well). Also glad that the damage was minimal to your truck, coulda been A LOT worse.

Don't let it hurt your pride too much, Im still dealing with that from when I put my 'stang in a tree. I knew that car like the back of my hand, just didn't take in account the situation... cold temperatures + powershifting= overcorrection into a tree! Keep ya head up brotha!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Get it to a shop, get it up on a lift and have it visually checked out to be sure before you meet with the insurance adjuster...

I swerved to miss a dog when I was 19 in my three week old 280Z (well this was in '86 and the car was a '78 but I had only bought it three weeks earlier). I was just coming around a blind curve and the dog was right in the middle of my lane, speed limit was 35 and I was doing 50'ish, overcorrected and ended up hitting a 4' diameter oak tree square! I came out with only stitches right above my knee, but the car was totaled.

Beautiful car too. Two seater, all leather, 5 spd, metallic blue and silver two tone, T-tops...

For those of you "chillins" too young to remember the 280Z, not mine as I no longer have pics of it (thanks to the ex-wife) but this is the car without the two tone paint and T-tops:

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Rookie1500
Rookie

Wow that sounds like my day! Turned a corner and my gas peddle got stuck and my rear end started to go, and i over corrected and lost control for probley 3 seconds but got control of my truck before i took out a lady and her kid walking down the road.
Turns out, my stupid floor mat got stuck on top of the peddle a little. i think this calls for some double sided tape.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I almost lost the rear end in a rain storm here a few days ago while taking a roundabout onramp to the highway. Just got on the gas (smoothly, not even wide open) before my truck was completely straight in the lane and the back broke free. I anticipated it happening (though it was NOT my intention) and letting off the throttle straightened it right up, but I think my wife's *** is still imprinted in the seat.

Hope it all works out as best as it can and you take something away from the experience, whatever that may be.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

glad to hear your alright. had something like that happen to my mazda mpv a couple years ago. managed to get hit with my school backpack. just remember, no mateer how bad something seems to be, it can always be worse that what it is.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

I got nothin but respect for you truckin. Never once in your narrative did I read anything that even tried to take the blame off your shoulders for a second. Way to man up. It sucks when it happens, and sometimes it happens for no reason at all. Glad you and the truck as well as everyone else is ok. They say its better to be lucky than good, but apparently your driving last night wasnt all luck. Be proud of the fact that it was your instincts and reactions that kept you from hitting other cars while your truck decided to do its own thing.

Quick Reply: Its a sad sad day...