3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First Truck!! 1500 Quad Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Rx8freehk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Truck!! 1500 Quad Cab

Hello all, today we got our first truck! A used 07 1500 SXT Quad Cab with 44k miles on it.

Anything that I should be checking on?

It only came with one Key so Ive ordered a blank transponder key blank. As I understand it because I only have 1... I can only get it programed at a locksmith or dealership? Also is there an easy way to add Remote Entry to this? ( It has 4-door power locks)

I do have a question, The passenger tail light retaining clips have broken off (not on the tail light but on the vehicle side that holds them there). I did a search but couldn't find anything similar to what I'm looking for. Is there a simple fix?.. or somewhere that I can order them from?

Thanks! and so far were loving this thing!

-Matt

Last edited by Rx8freehk; 06-19-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Matt99
Champion

id check the local junkyards for the retaining clips...if you are talking about the black plastic circle part, someone on here said that you have to buy the entire taillight assembly to get that one little $0.10 part, I am missing one too....if you find one let me know!

The transponder key/programming is somewhat expensive, I got my dealer to give me an extra when I bought the truck. Most transponder keys have remote entry, my 07 does.....you might be able to buy lock actuators if you dont have power locks, if not you can buy a keyless entry kit and get it installed for a few hundred bucks

Old 06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Congrats on the new wheels. Lets get some pic of this *****.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya we NEED pics!!! welcome to DF!!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooh ooh, I got this one...
Wait for it....

Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^..lol..I would have got that if you didnt Lonestar
Post up all your pics using a place like photobucket or similar.

Congrats on your new/used truck. I love the room of the quadcab!

Plastic clips...yeah, check salvage yards or ebay.
If it was me and I couldn't find a clip or had to buy the whole taillamp..I would just put a large blob of rtv sealant on the ball of the rod that goes into the clip and tape the light to your fender overnight. The blob of RTV must be large enough to grab the hole and make sure it won't drip to bad or fall right off.
I'd push the taillamp in super tight and then let it cettle back even this way the RTV sealant gets on the backside of the metal around the hole and holds the light there when dry.

I would have 2 keys programmed for a total of 3 because if you go through all this to get a 2nd key programmed and then loose one or it goes bad which it can....you'll have to do it all over again. Now, if you have 3 keys done and loose one, you can program the 3rd again yourself.
I bought the basic chipped key with no lock/unlock stuff on it because I wanted a less bulky key. I think the remote type keys are just to frickin big. Anyways, I paid $20 shipped for my key on Ebay and had the local Ace hardware cut it for $1 and I programmed it myself so the 3rd key will be super cheap. Good reason to do it now.
The only thing with that is...no warrant against them cutting it wrong but your saving $70 in the process so I'd take a chance on even cutting 2 keys wrong because you'll still be ahead.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's what I did, bought a non-remote chipped key, had Walmart cut it and for $21 have a 3rd key to either drive the truck or have 2 working keys in case I ever need to replace one, I can without having the dealer reprogram my wallet to empty.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

Welcome to df. Congrats on the ram

Quick Reply: First Truck!! 1500 Quad Cab