3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speedo, and wiper problem, and yes i tried the search

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo, and wiper problem, and yes i tried the search

so the other day it did this once, and now its a consitnat problem

the speedo jumps aorund, it does not move any higher than my current speed, but the needel will drop then spike back up to my speed. does it at all different speeds. truck seems to respond to the diffferent speeds and if it holds the needel below were it should be for more than a second, it will up shift.

at the same time i have a wired wiper problem that has symptoms that keep changing. at the moment it will go on twice, all on its own, then it stops. I started the wiper manually and went to stop it...it did not stop it kept going...then it did stop and it stopped in the middle. Then the sypotoms changed again, and i could get it to stop properly.

not sure if these are related issues, or not. just weird on the same day. this is my first time trouble shooting a 3rd gen. i could use help and tips. lots of experiance on the 2nd gen

any recommended books, or downloads for repair manuels?

04 dodge ram 2500 4x4 auto trans, hemi, 130 k on it

Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

faulty grounds or possible shorts is one place to start

Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Whenever I see someone add "and YES I tried to search" I always think it's directed at AF for some reason...

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

I think they are unrelated as I have heard of the wiper issue and had it myself on my reg cab truck, you can try replacing the relays to see if that helps, if not it could be the multiswitch.

As for the speedo it could be something inside starting to give way, or maybe the speed sensor could have something to do with it, not sure.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Doesn't the TIPM (Total integrated power module) control the wipers? I am not sure if it also has control over any gauges, but you might have that checked at a reputable shop or local dealer. It seems that I have seen a thread or two about the TIPM failing here in the last month or two.

nateroach

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Yeah, the speed sensor could be at fault for the speedo problem. I'd look at that and the wiring for the wipers. You may also be able to unbolt the fuse block and check under there for corrosion. I've heard of that before too.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Whenever I see someone add "and YES I tried to search" I always think it's directed at AF for some reason...
rofl. quite possibly. i dont mean to come off like a ***** when i say that, and i've tried to start giving an answer along with my helpful suggestion to use the search. man it gets annoying though... haha

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Yeah, the speed sensor could be at fault for the speedo problem. I'd look at that and the wiring for the wipers. You may also be able to unbolt the fuse block and check under there for corrosion. I've heard of that before too.
thats a good tip on the fuse block , i had a gen 2 do that. Ill have to check mine, and give it some grease, could fix the wiper problem. I belive that there is some type of switch the is activated when the wiper is at its lowest point. My thinking is that switch is not wroking correctly, or at least some point in the process the signal is getting lost.

As for the speedo. is the gauge controlled by the speed sensor on the rear end? or on the trans? is there one? i ask this becasue the truck will shift according to what the gauge reads. thus my thinking becomes that its just not the gauage thats bad, I think the trucks trans is getting fed bad info... (from the computer i assume?) and computer gets bad info from the senor?

anybody have a wiring diagram that i could look at?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie
Talking

bump for help

Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Rookie1500
Rookie

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2006/dr/drmo.pdf

Work your way threw threre and i am sure you will be able to find the wiring diagram you need.

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

I just relised i have the year already in the first link. This one will be a bit more helpful.

Last edited by Rookie1500; 06-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: speedo, and wiper problem, and yes i tried the search