3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010 | 07:21 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

Originally Posted by nozmadd0x
I vote first do an alarm. If that is complete then move to a CAI or programer or exhaust. The different intakes are basically different strokes for different folks. Some think if you have a hose going to the fog light whole your truck will perform better. Some think if you have a chrome intake it will heat up and you will lose performance because the engine is sucking in hot air. Personally I am about to make my own t-pipe intake which has two filters. Basically it comes off the throttle body and has a 90 degree pipe to the left with a filter and one to the right, and it sits on top of the engine. Its really up to you and how creative you want to be/ how much you want to spend. But definatly an alarm first.
Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ive got a cheap ebay $50 CAI and had it for several years now with zero issues. I also have a Powewire (home made). The CAI did resolve a small flat spot I had in my upper RPMs. I assume allowing more air in resolved that for me. I also have the Sonnax trans line booster and love it. I have had it on for quick some time now and no issues at all.
I have the dodge factory alarm that comes on the Laramie...it keeps the honest people away, the ones that really want to steal stuff will do it even if i have the best after market system...not to mention with my new stereo setup going in if i did not have one it would be going in at the same time

I ended up just ordering a chrome intake off ebay for like 100 bucks shipped...Its a stage 3 that fully extends down behind the headlight. I thought buying one that brings it as far as where the air box would be, but this one was actually cheaper AND its shipped with a K&N cone filter vs chrome intakes cone filter...comes with the proper mounts and they build it in their warehouse before the ship it to me. ( I had to give them my vehicle info) I hope its worth it anyways, at least if i don't like an intake or it just does nothing for my truck but make noise, its not 500 bucks down the tubes...

I have also looked at that T setup you were talking about nozmadd, seems interesting...let me know how it turns out...

I'm hoping that with my power wire and this intake it will really let it breath...

I also ordered a Sonnax line booster, its the 68RFE...hope its going to be enough :S It should help anyways...Weedhoe do you experiance any hard shifting when your stopped shifting into reverse or drive? I have read that some people do...

Old 06-28-2010 | 10:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Nate769
I also ordered a Sonnax line booster, its the 68RFE...hope its going to be enough :S It should help anyways...Weedahoe do you experiance any hard shifting when your stopped shifting into reverse or drive? I have read that some people do...
no issues downshifting or reverse. When I first put it on my upshifts were very firm and snappy but have settled a bit under normal driving. However, at WOT they are very firm and snappy.

Old 07-12-2010 | 07:38 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

so i just got my intake in...sounds VERY good, truck responds nice...maybe post some pics up later...

Old 07-12-2010 | 08:25 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

1. Make your own C.A.I. GO with a longer one that drops below the headlight if you want better gains, B.C your getting fresh cooler air their. On the downside. If you drive your truck through rivers, big puddles ect... you will want to put it much higher up toward the back of the bay to avoid hydrolocking your motor.

2.You stated you already have a power wire. cool. The ebay crap doesnt work. thats why its cheap. If your looking for a chip you honestly have to look into
a. superchips.
b. diablo.
c. edge.
these are reputable tried and proven companies that for not a whole lot of cash make noticeable gains.

3. Some ppl are brave enough to play with our trans. Personally i think enough of them fail on their own, and i wouldnt touch the thing, but your trans, your money. your call.
If you go with a tuner most of them allow for trans adjustments, such as rev limter, shift points and firmness ect...

Old 07-12-2010 | 09:19 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

Originally Posted by Thatonekidw/theHEMI
1. Make your own C.A.I. GO with a longer one that drops below the headlight if you want better gains, B.C your getting fresh cooler air their. On the downside. If you drive your truck through rivers, big puddles ect... you will want to put it much higher up toward the back of the bay to avoid hydrolocking your motor.

2.You stated you already have a power wire. cool. The ebay crap doesnt work. thats why its cheap. If your looking for a chip you honestly have to look into
a. superchips.
b. diablo.
c. edge.
these are reputable tried and proven companies that for not a whole lot of cash make noticeable gains.

3. Some ppl are brave enough to play with our trans. Personally i think enough of them fail on their own, and i wouldnt touch the thing, but your trans, your money. your call.
If you go with a tuner most of them allow for trans adjustments, such as rev limter, shift points and firmness ect...
I bought an ebay one for 100 bucks that extends down towards the headlight, comes right off the TB...worth every penny for me, sounds great, gains are great....i cant compare it to a 500 dollar one, but for me its good enough...

I already have a bullydog that I am quite pleased with...i would love to have a shift mode on the fly...but that technology has not come out yet with a heads-up display...which i like...

The thing is with the pressure booster, it will improve the life of your transmission. The majority of consumers want a smooth driving truck, in order to do that your transmission has to be within each shift point longer, creating more heat. You boost the pressure it will shift harder, but there will be less heat involved, not to mention less ware on your TC

Quick Reply: Upgrades