3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:24 PM
Nate769
|
All Star
Default Upgrades

So I just finished putting my much needed sound system in

however now im looking towards performance. I hear if you let these rams breath you can do many things with them. I'm looking into intakes at the moment, (Short Ram intake im thinking???) but I really think that spending 400 bucks for something that i could build myself out of pvc just and put a K&N cone filter on the end, is not quite worth it..I could be wrong tho, is it really worth it to get a 400 dollar CAI?
I had a quick look on Ebay and there are some cheaper made intakes, Chrome Intakes is one of them. Has anyone ever used these? I don't want to go really cheap by any means, but i dont think that spending almost half a grand is worth it either...Thoughts????

Another thing that i ran across is a performance "chip", that hooks up through the IAT sensor or the MAF sensor. Its supposed to trick the ECU temperature readings and such providing a better air/fuel mixture...does anyone know anything about these? I would be willing to try it, although if people have had bad luck with them im not going to do it...

One last thing i have been told by some classic car builders, is transmission line pressure. They are saying if you increase the pressure you can make the transmission shift harder improving performance and less slip time, therefore keeping the transmission cooler...IDEAS here???

THANKS ALL

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:33 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

I forgot to mention that intake kits on ebay to come with the K&N Cone filter

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:45 PM
JonHart1

from what I read, the ebay intakes are hit or miss, some fall apart easily, others last, KN is legit though. as for chips most people go with superchips or diablo, you'll have to look around for your setup though and year

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:45 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

lots of stuff on here about pvc cai, and they work the same as the fancy ones. The chip you are talking about is a "power wire" and wont make a big difference but you can make one for a few bucks just search on here. Some people on here have done the line pressure boost but personally I wont do it, too scared itll mess something up in these touchy trannys

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:46 PM
Trupiano
Veteran

I recommend just build your own home-brew CAI. Many have done so with no regrets. That, or buy a volant, cause I love mine. Not sure about the tranny question.

Here's mine:

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:47 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

You list a power wire in your mods.....same thing as that eBay crap.....

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:50 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
You list a power wire in your mods.....same thing as that eBay crap.....
Ya I have that installed, there was no detailed information on those things, i just came across it randomly. I have never heard it listed as an actual "performance chip" tho. Cause all it is, is some resistors...

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:55 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

now just another quick question...they have different intake setups, im thinking i might just build mine, and just buy a KN Filter. Just out of curiosity i kept looking and they have Short Ram intakes, they have ones that extend further towards the front. Then they have ones that actually have a 90 degree pipe so that the cone is down in behind the headlight...

Old 06-25-2010 | 02:30 AM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

I vote first do an alarm. If that is complete then move to a CAI or programer or exhaust. The different intakes are basically different strokes for different folks. Some think if you have a hose going to the fog light whole your truck will perform better. Some think if you have a chrome intake it will heat up and you will lose performance because the engine is sucking in hot air. Personally I am about to make my own t-pipe intake which has two filters. Basically it comes off the throttle body and has a 90 degree pipe to the left with a filter and one to the right, and it sits on top of the engine. Its really up to you and how creative you want to be/ how much you want to spend. But definatly an alarm first.

Old 06-25-2010 | 06:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive got a cheap ebay $50 CAI and had it for several years now with zero issues. I also have a Powewire (home made). The CAI did resolve a small flat spot I had in my upper RPMs. I assume allowing more air in resolved that for me. I also have the Sonnax trans line booster and love it. I have had it on for quick some time now and no issues at all.

Quick Reply: Upgrades