3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drop Shackles + A/C questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Shackles + A/C questions

I searched for a DIY drop shackle thread but couldn't find one, could someone explain how I could do it myself? The shop in town said they would charge $250 for parts and labor but the only parts they sell say they will only drop the back 1.5" and I want the McGaughys that say they will drop the back 2". The shop said if I bring my own it will cost me $95 and hour and take them about two hours. Secondly, my A/C will only blow on high, when I turn it down the A/C light goes out and the fan stops blowing. Only when I turn the fan to high will the A/C light go on and blow that icy cold air from the gods... any suggestions?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You just swap the OEM shackles out for the drop shackles dont you?

As for the fan, could be the switch or maybe the fan resistor block

Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blend door...i have a full write up right here straight from djm....and that price is rediculous for the work being done....and just to set the record str8 no drop shackle that advertises 2" gives a true 2" except for the late slammed1...and good luck if you find a set of them silverbullet on her is the only one on this board with them..McG's will get you the closest though......here ya go bud...

directions to change drop shackles....
with your truck elevated on jack stands, place hydraulic jack under the rear axle and raise it until the weight is removed from the leaf spring. loosen and remove shackle bolts, and remove the stock shackle. install your new lowering shackle, tighten bolts, donot over tighten(this will cause squeaks and binding) remove the jack and jack stands your. ready to go!!!

this here is if you wanna delete your overloads....

and while you have the leafs loose just undo all the axle bolts(4) and drop the axle down(or lift truck up) and disassemble leaf pack, one bolt. and then remove the bottom spring it has a pin in it also, i used a flat bar and pried it off. reassemble the leafs with the bolt and put axle back together with 4 u-bolts and tighten everything down then attach drop shackles to truck and remove all jacks and stands....

and one more thing for people trying to drop there trucks theres a lowered truck section at the top of the page sticky....

Last edited by BadHab1t; 07-02-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
andrew67
Amateur

drop shackles are easy to do . Get yourself a floor jack and two jack stands and go at it . takes about 45 min to do not a big deal at all if your shackles have urethane bushings make sure you pull thm out of the shackle and lube them up real good or you will get squeaks .

Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

Thanks a lot, doesn't seem too difficult. All the shops around here say it will take them two hours to do it or $90 a shackle, seems like some thing i can do when im bored lol. So all I need to do is lift up the axle? doesn't seem hard at all. I dont see why these shops think they can just gouge us. And for the a/c, is it something stupid like a $10 part but it costs like $500 for the work?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

Do the drop shackle kits usually come with new bolts?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

No they come don't come with new bolts. I did mine in literally 20 mins. It took more time getting the truck on the lift right than changing the shackles. It's 4 bolts you take out and put back in. When they get replaced take your stock shackles and hit every idiot who said 2 hours in the face with them.

You might have issues getting the holes on the shackles to line up. If you don't have a lift it takes some trial and error getting the right height with the jack.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

Was it difficult to get the bolts out? Thats the only thing I am really worried about. Mine look like they could be rusted pretty well and if thats true I don't want to be up a creek without a paddle. Do they sell replacement bolts? Maybe I could just replace them while I'm at it.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 AM
andy666

hit the bolts with some liquid wrench a few days before they should come off. And set jack stands under the frame so that the rear end hangs down and do one side at a time .

Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or even pb blaster for a few days, yes i agree put the frame on jack stands and use a jack under the axle that helps alot....

Quick Reply: Drop Shackles + A/C questions