3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ported heads worth the expense?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Albertaramfan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported heads worth the expense?

Hey guys

I'm going to be doing my cam swap in the next couple weeks here.

I lucked into a second hemi for 100 bucks (thanks to my cousin) that was pulled due to a noisy lifter. So I have a spare set of heads now.

Anyways my question is. Is it worth the money to port the heads?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys who have them say that there are very good gains to be had by running ported heads.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
davb673
Veteran

I guess "worth the money" depends upon your end goal. If you are after hp, especially for hard pulling or racing, I'd say yes. If you are after mpgs, it may not be what you want.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

Thanks teach!

You wouldn't happen to know anybody on this forum that has them I could get in touch with do you?

I'm looking at doing a custom port job on them thru a local engine shop. I'm not sure if anybody else is doing the same or if they're buying them already done..

Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

Originally Posted by davb673
I guess "worth the money" depends upon your end goal. If you are after hp, especially for hard pulling or racing, I'd say yes. If you are after mpgs, it may not be what you want.

Definitely after power. My goal is to take down a couple of ricers here and there and perhaps a slightly modified diesel now and again.

MPGs.... If I was after that I woulda bought a Prius. I heard one drive by yesterday and it was like hoooooooooo moooooooooooo

Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

Definitely after power. My goal is to take down a couple of ricers here and there and perhaps a slightly modified diesel now and again.
MPGs.... If I was after that I woulda bought a Prius. I heard one drive by yesterday and it was like hoooooooooo moooooooooooo
You know they form those dangerous clouds of smug. Very serious issue that needs to be delt with.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody know if having BV heads or ported heads requires you to run only 93 octane? ive heard it said once or twice, but would assume if it is correct, it would only be with the BVs

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I think the BV ported heads are important for making power along with a good cam. I spoke with a local engine builder and he told me he could build me a pair for about the same as being quoted online. This guy has done heads for me in the past and I have been completely satisfied with his work. The end cost is higher than the heads generally being offered as I'll be furnishing the cores for him to work.

Quick Reply: Ported heads worth the expense?