3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Why wont my brakes bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Trupiano
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why wont my brakes bleed?

Ok guy now Im having problems. Me and my buddy have bled these brakes over 15 times each brake and the pedal still goes to the floor. Called everyone and tried every idea. Here's what I did. Removed the calipers (only painted the front this time cause I wanted to see what they'd be like before doing the rears). I let the brake lines drip into a bucket cause there was no way of plugging them. I drained the calipers and plugged the hole with a bolt on each. Cleaned them, painted them, let them dry. Put them back on without filling the calipers with brake fluid(cause the fluid would have went everywhere and ate away the paint on the calipers). Filled the reservoir with fluid, started bleeding. Matt sat in the cab, with the cap on the reservoir and the truck off. He would pump the brakes 3 times and hold the 4th. I opened the bleed valve for a couple seconds till he said the pedal was about to the floor, then I would close the valve. Did this over 15 times on each brake, even the back (which never got removed). Brake will start to feel good, then Ill start the truck, and the pedal goes to the floor. WTF? Ive called everyone, and tried every idea... IM STUMPED.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have air in your ABS module? There should be a bleeder screw on the side of it?? That should be the first thing to bleed if such a thing happens.

Bleed the pass rear then driver rear, then pass front, then driver front. You could have issue's if not dont like that. You gotta push the fluid out the furthest line first.

Also, are you closing the bleeder screw WHILE he is pushing the pedal? You need to close that screw while the fluid is squirting out. If he stops pumping and then you tighten the screw down, you'll let air in everytime.
Keep the cap off of the master cylinder and make sure the fluid doesn't get too low.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

^^^ yep and make sure you pump the pedel slowly. this will keep all the air bubbles closer together. WHen you pump the pedel fast it breaks up and airates the fluid- just making you go through a lot more fluid and taking alot longer time.

could always just let it gravity bleed too for a while---top up the master cylinder and then go and open up all the bleeder screws for about 30-45minutes. and then bleed after that.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Trupiano
Veteran

Ok guys figured it out. When I put my calipers back on, I put them on the wrong wheels. There perfectly symetrical, except for the bleed screw. I had on so the bleed screw was on the bottom of the caliper... there was no way for the air to escape. So I swaped them the two fronts with each other so the screws were on top, and Viola! After 2 mins of bleeding they are PERFECT! Thanks all!

Here's some shots.

Notice the bleed screws on the bottom : WRONG!

Here's the finished product... bad light but they are there.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

yep. That'll do it. I didn't even think to ask that.

Glad to hear your ready for the road. Calipers look good man, nice job.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad u got it fixed!!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I see paint on the caliper pistons there?
That might cause the pistons to stick. I'd be careful about that.
Al.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Trupiano
Veteran

Yeah the first coat, I didn't cover them on that brake. But I covered them for the subsequent coats. Got most of the paint off them, but not all. Thanks, but I think they'll be fine. My brakes work better than before! My fluid was like a burnt orange color... Now its crystal clear! Shibby!

Quick Reply: Why wont my brakes bleed?