3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow Exhaust Question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Hammer26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Exhaust Question???

Hi I'm considering installing a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system on my 06 1500 4x4 with a 5.7L Hemi. I was wondering if anyone has this system, and do they experience any annoying droning at freeway speeds?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Mag catback that exits duals in front of the rear pass. side tire. My sig has a sound clip. Inside the cab on the highway is pretty quiet. Only drone I have ever experienced is for 200rpms from 1800-2000rpms going up hills. Otherwise, nothing.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive got two Magnaflows under my truck and no real drone. Ive no cats either so mine is a bit louder than most

Old 07-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^ ditto

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
tsnyder
Professional

i have the same setup as dirty but mine is a reg cab and it drones like crazy its actually so bad it shakes the change in my change dish im actually been thinking about putting out the back at a 90deg behind each tire..but it sure does sound nice i had a guy call me a pri% the other day i went to pass him and i did really put the foot to the floor and he was driving a neon i think he was lined up with my pipes lol anyways...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Seems like I've answered this question before,lol....

Here's mine... I don't really get any drone to speak of but I left the front resonator on so that helps.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmuY478LYA

Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Hammer26

Thanks for all of the reply's. So it sounds like the dual exit in front of rear tire is a
little more prone to the droning problem?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

not mine? But I have 4 doors.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer26
Thanks for all of the reply's. So it sounds like the dual exit in front of rear tire is a
little more prone to the droning problem?

Not mine either. I have a QC. I was most afraid of that, but it was sooo much quieter than I anticipated as far as in-cab resonance.
I'm talking with the windows up. I don't drive much with them down. I'll use the A/C before putting the windows down, but even with the windows down, the exhaust does not drone like you'd think being dumped out right behind the rear pass. door.
If your doing any type of towing with a solid front on a trailer, you may want to think about going with a side exit either before or after the rear tire because the duals out the back tened to really resonate off of trailers. One of the reasons I chose my exhaust. It's a bit "sporty" for me, but it does what i want.

**ALSO** You have an '06 with MDS. Your gonna get some terrible resonance no matter what catback you choose because of the MDS. It's an annoying flutter sound whenever it kicks in. Sounds like a helicopter underwater. I have a Superchips tuner that disables the MDS. I even get better mileage with the tuner's tune and mds disabled. Unless you purchase a tuner to disable it, you'll have a drone that shakes the cab as mentioned above. My catback would shake the cupholder too when I had no tuner. MDS sucks anyways.....

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-07-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Totti
Amateur

I have exactly the same problems with the f***** MDS guys, i even removed the exhaust system and put the stock exhaust back under my 07 ram. Yesterday my new DSP arrived from U.S.A. and on friday i´ve had a day off from work, so i will put the exhaust back under my truck and try some tunes and shut that damn MDS off!!Hope it does work!!!
Do you have the same problems that, if you´re MDS is on, it´s really frustrating because the ram only shifts in higher gears if you push the throttle really hard???
I really hope that the DSP will fix my problem!!!!!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Exhaust Question???