3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airbag light on after seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light on after seat swap

Last night I swapped my factory cloth seats over to factory leather seats. Both sets of seats are from an '06.

All the connections fit and everything works fine, but the airbag light on the dash stays on now. I tried resetting but disconnecting the battery but no luck.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 AM
badblackram06
Veteran

Did the passenger weight sensor come unplugged? thats about the only thing i could think of. But i believe the dealer has to reset the air bag light for to go off. i may be wrong though.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Originally Posted by badblackram06
Did the passenger weight sensor come unplugged? thats about the only thing i could think of. But i believe the dealer has to reset the air bag light for to go off. i may be wrong though.
Hmmm not sure what the weight sensor would even look like. A wire (well several wires inside loom) run from the driver's seat over to the passenger one but I'm guessing that's for the power. There is a plug that comes up from underneath the passenger seat but it was never connected on the truck I took the seats from.
I wonder if the Superchips can reset the air bag light?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 AM
sbsga
Professional

im pretty sure superchips reseting that light is a no go, if there is a plug under the seat not hooked up then that ould more than likely be your culprit. and the airbag sensor will flash and reset itself once the issue is fixed more tham likely. i would call a dealership and ask to talk to a tech, they will know what is wrong right off the bat more than likely

Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

I tried the Superchips, no go. I guess it's not really a DTC.
I looked under the seats, the only one with no connection is a wire coming from under the passenger seat. Now on my stock cloth seats a plug connected to it but it ran over to the driver seat. On the '06 I removed the leather from, this same plug was there under his passenger seat but nothing was connected to it at all (except an empty plug cap, terminating it perhaps?). I don't have that cap, he took it with him. I wonder if there is something in that cap that terminates a signal and gives some kind of loopback?
Or is it just a plastic cover to protect the plug?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM
sbsga
Professional

its very possible that its a loop, i think it will reset itself when you get the issue worked out, most safety codes test flash on every start. it should be able to tell when its functioning properly.

good looking truck bye the way

Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grab a copy of the service manual for the 06 (not the haynes type... the BIG one). Find the wiring for the airbag and it should show you where your wiring is messed up

Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

I'll grab that plug and give that a try. I do have the service manual (in PDF) so will give that a check too (if I can figure it out haha)

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
sbsga
Professional

like is said worst thing is call the service department, they will be more than happy to help you im sure

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any issues with my swap. I'd try the cap and of course check the manual. Good luck...

Quick Reply: Airbag light on after seat swap