3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 PM
tony2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

I am having trouble with my transmission. I took it to the transmission shop today and they said it is a solenoid pack. I am curious if any one is having or had this problem The mechanic stated that this is a common thing and have had many come through his shop.

1) Where can I buy one, other than dealership?
2) Is it a hard thing to replace?
3) should I let a mechanic do it or do it myself?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Was the ck engine lite on? If it is or on,what are the codes? If you wanted to replace the solenoid pack, the valve body would need to be removed from the transmission. Yes the solenoid pack is a common problem,but so are the wire harness going to the TRS sensor too.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pick one up from a lot of different online parts stores. gonna run you about $230-$260 for one. i have heard of them going out before. its not that hard of a job to replace one. just drop your tranny pan, take out the sump filter, drop the valve body, then unbolt the old pack from the VB. fairly simple job, just messy when dropping the pan. also, any time you replace the solenoid pack, valve body, or torque converter, and the shifting doesnt feel quite right, get a quick learn procedure done. has to be done at either the dealer or a tranny shop.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are talking about a 2002 with a 45rfe trans, then the pack part number is 68002342AA and it $283.75 on www.weRmopar.com

Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
tony2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to drop the tranny or can it be done as is?

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
you can pick one up from a lot of different online parts stores. gonna run you about $230-$260 for one. i have heard of them going out before. its not that hard of a job to replace one. just drop your tranny pan, take out the sump filter, drop the valve body, then unbolt the old pack from the VB. fairly simple job, just messy when dropping the pan. also, any time you replace the solenoid pack, valve body, or torque converter, and the shifting doesnt feel quite right, get a quick learn procedure done. has to be done at either the dealer or a tranny shop.

I am sorry for not telling you about the truck. It is a 2002 Ram 1500 S/C and has 4.7 in it. I took it to the tranny shop and they did run a test on it and it came back as the solenoid pack.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do not need to drop the tranny out of the truck. hell, i dont even jack mine up when doing something like that. all you have to drop is the tranny fluid pan. which is a little messy without a drain plug. you can easily do this in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well your part number and price is in post #4

Quick Reply: transmission