3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I'm looking around, I'm finding the prices for used Diablo's almost the same as a new 3815($275.00, shipped?).

Used 3815's are around $175-ish? Do you guys feel it's worth the extra $$$ for the little I plan to do with my truck? I hate to buy things twice, it's probably one of my biggest pet peeves.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
glass3222
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The decision is yours. I will tell you that I am very happy with my DSP.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont pay more than $250 for a DSP. If you dont wanna buy things twice, go with the DSP from the beginning. lots of guys end up going with SC first, then switch to a DSP because the mod bug hits and they want more aggressive tuning features

Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Ok, I'm going to pitch in my 2 cents. I started with the SC3865 and it allows you to adjust the rpm limit and the speed restriction can be moved. All my 03 saw was engine tuning and don't think it really made any trans changes except to move up a little when the rpm was adjusted. I wanted a custom tune and changed to a DSP. The DSP immediately caused a ABS problem which the Diablo techs couldn't do anything about and I had to take the truck to the dealer. Since I was there I reflashed the PCM with an update and reset the ABS light. I have re-installed the DSP canned tunes and have not had anymore ABS issues. What I really miss is the higher rpm shift points with the SC. Never really bumped the speed limit. So the basic's is if you wnat canned tunes go with SC3865. If you want custom tune I say go with DSP. DSP does allow you to tweek the canned tunes. Your choice....

Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

First off, 3865 is a waste of money for the 03. Save $100 and get the 3815. Same useable features as the 3865.

Secondly, RT_VA you cant prove the DSP is what caused your ABS malfunction. It could have honestly been coincidence.

I'm not trying to pick sides here, just trying to play fair and give the OP good unbiased reviews. So far FrostKing doesnt like DSP because 2 of his buddies had tranny failures. RT_VA doesnt like DSP cause he had an ABS light come on after putting it on. Neither of them can prove it was definiteily DSP. just sayin...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
First off, 3865 is a waste of money for the 03. Save $100 and get the 3815. Same useable features as the 3865.

Secondly, RT_VA you cant prove the DSP is what caused your ABS malfunction. It could have honestly been coincidence.

I'm not trying to pick sides here, just trying to play fair and give the OP good unbiased reviews. So far FrostKing doesnt like DSP because 2 of his buddies had tranny failures. RT_VA doesnt like DSP cause he had an ABS light come on after putting it on. Neither of them can prove it was definiteily DSP. just sayin...
I didn't have a SC3815, but if it has the same capabilities as the SC3865 I won't argue the point. As for the ABS problem, I know my truck pretty well as I bought it new and have never had any issue with the ABS in the past and only had ABS problem when I installed the DSP. I cannot say I have definative proof that the DSP caused the problem, but I can say that there are other folks who also have had the ABS problem when using the DSP. I personally am convinced that the DSP caused my problem. It could also be associated the early build date that my truck has and the reflash has solved the problem. I do know for absolute certain that the Diablo technicians did not help solve the problem. There is a trend on their support forum of ignoring many/most problems and letting them just die rather than providing necessary support. Again if using canned tunes, than SC. If you want custom, go with a DSP. That's my advice.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
I disagree entirely guys. coming from a SC 3815, I can say the DSP is much better for the 03 in any situation.

There is literally nothing the SC can do that the DSP cant for the 03. The DSP also allows you to tweak the tunes if you'd like, or supports custom tuning if you choose to do that down the road. For guys with the 03, DSP is the only logical choice...it just simply does more stuff.
SC can remove the 105 mph speed limiter that the DP CANNOT (as unequivocally stated by Mike on their forum in response to RedTruck-VA). This is one of my reasons for not getting one. I don't need that much custom tuning ability yet, but what's the point if you can do a fast enough strip run but can't go over 105? One of the 2 actual reasons I bought an SC (still have my 3715 doh) was because I got spanked by a Silverado SS because I stopped accelerating at 105 (the other being the ability to read/reset codes). If this little detail can be fixed or gotten around, then I'd probably go with one.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

DSP will not allow the adjustment of the rev limiter, idle speed and as previously pointed out the speed restricter. On the 03 DSP only allows custom tuning of timing and fuel within the constraints of stock idle to rev limiter. Good luck...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
DSP will not allow the adjustment of the rev limiter, idle speed and as previously pointed out the speed restricter. On the 03 DSP only allows custom tuning of timing and fuel within the constraints of stock idle to rev limiter. Good luck...
I know, I saw your post in the DSP forum. I was seriously looking into getting one right up until that point. Now I am hearing an SCT won't work on an 03 either?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you guys are getting off track. I dont think the OP cared about custom tuning via DSP and how many times do you guys really push your truck over 105 mph?

Quick Reply: 03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?