3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on which highway I'm on (lots of wide open space out in TX).

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Out here, try doing 105 and 1) keeping your license and not going to jail and 2) pray you dont hit a dog, possum, raccoon and pray really hard you dont cross paths with a deer.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Out here, try doing 105 and 1) keeping your license and not going to jail and 2) pray you dont hit a dog, possum, raccoon and pray really hard you dont cross paths with a deer.
Talk about getting off track...

I'll end this with: ain't but 2 reasons I go to GA, Savannah for St Patty's (not in quite a few years though) and to get to FL from anywhere up north. I grew up in the woods, so of course you don't go flying through there (duh). I'm talking open highways with no one around you and the only person I have to worry about is me. I don't do it very often but I like to be able to. Its my truck - deal with it.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 08-23-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike_dmt
Tried to sift through the thousands of posts in the Superchips and Diablo reviews, but thought I'd try and save a few hours and just ask it here.

As the title said, which handheld is going to give me the best bang for the buck? Which models can I find used for a decent price?

I do a tow small travel trailer around six times a year or so, and I plan to run 35's soon if that makes any difference. I understand the 03's have a stand alone ecu for the tranny anyway, so any insight there would be appreciated.

Thanks all in advance!
Mike,
I would recommend a SC-3815. I have never used a SC3815, but have used a SC3865 and believe this will do what you are asking at a reasonable price. The older model supposely does all that can be done for our beloved 03's. Good luck.....

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't been on here for a bit.

I think I'll try and find a used 3815, even though the DSP sounds fun, I'm not sure how long I'll have this particular truck. I don't think Id use the custom tune end of things on a DSP, so the extra $$ for would be wasted.

I'm looking into the E-fan and trans wire mods right now, rims and 35's soon..

Quick Reply: 03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?