3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

84mm ported T/B with zero taper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the idle issue, how was it when you were rolling?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Teach, i couldn't agree more.

Frog,
very snappy. didn't take much pressure to get it up and moving. It felt like the whole truck picked up it's skirt and took off compared to the usual squat and go. I was very surprised on how much difference the port made. I never expected to feel that much of a gain and I didn't expect to be throwing lean codes either. Now, I didn't have the ability to jamb WOT up 80 or anything, but I was able to go into 2nd gear up to 60-ish. As soon as I let off the gas it wanted to stall. I was also afraid to rev too much as I didn't know how lean it was running? i would have thought the computer would have compensated for the air/fuel, but I guess it's not like a Maf driven vehicle.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-21-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Do you have a 180 T-Stat in it? That, in combination with the powerwire should help quite a bit. My fastman TB never through any codes, well the one without the knife edge at least. Its a nice mod once you get it running right

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Teach, i couldn't agree more.

Frog,
very snappy. didn't take much pressure to get it up and moving. It felt like the whole truck picked up it's skirt and took off compared to the usual squat and go. I was very surprised on how much difference the port made. I never expected to feel that much of a gain and I didn't expect to be throwing lean codes either. Now, I didn't have the ability to jamb WOT up 80 or anything, but I was able to go into 2nd gear up to 60-ish. As soon as I let off the gas it wanted to stall. I was also afraid to rev too much as I didn't know how lean it was running? i would have thought the computer would have compensated for the air/fuel, but I guess it's not like a Maf driven vehicle.
That's kind of the hangup with these things. It's a fine line between just right and too much. A custom tune helps, but even that has limits for the idle.

Most people are doubters on the effects of a ported tb, until they try one. The faster you go, the less effect the tb has, as there is only so much air the engine can take. Off-the-line/slow(er)-roll, these things are worth every penny.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Truckin, u got the tapered 85mm or straight ground 85mm all the way through?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Tapered, I wont go with a straight bore til I can use the extra air flow (new heads and intake manifold). Its still far better off the line than it was stock.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
svvaulter06

im no expert but learn things from experience and trial and error im new to having a dodge ram 1500 4.7l but i raced quads for awhile and bored my tb out from 42mm to 48mm and i had to re tune everything and it affected my idle just like your saying happened to your truck... my quads fuel injection so im just using at as a comparison.... but also theres a point of confusion cuz you would think your motor would only take in the amount of air needed no matter the size of your tb at idle right? i should ask first how big is the bore to start with? and how big would my 02 4.7l be? a smaller bore would also be a way to go to find that sweet spot between to big and just right. its a game of guessing cuz im debating doing mine. only cuz i know it adds tons of low end torque which is wat i want.

Last edited by svvaulter06; 08-09-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add in formation
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

^^^stock Hemi is 80mm. Your 4.7L... I'm not sure?? I haven't had anytime to work with the T/B and seal it up a bit better as I have been really busy the past few eeks working on my rental unit.
I think the best thing for you to do is buy a used one and play around with that because it took me a loooong time to grind it out evenly and if there's a problem, you could just swap back in for your stocker unit. Experimenting on the only one you have could put you in a pickle.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You can buy a honing/boring tool from harbor freight for a few bucks that will attach to a drill bit that will do a taper bore if you are carefull. Pull the plate out and the shaft and mount the the TB to a vice and take your time. You could do it with a dremel but that would take forever

Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM
luckydt
Veteran

i have a 85mm ported throttle body with half shaft and like frog said off the line it's worth every penny. I have a custom tune with mine and it helped, but i won't say it was night and day diff.

Quick Reply: 84mm ported T/B with zero taper.