3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lsd options

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
red ram ridin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsd options

My 2wd ram is eating **** in the mud because of its open differential. What is the most cost efficient way to either get a LSD or a locked differential or new axle or something so it doesnt suck as bad.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ride over to 4 Wheel Parts on Colonial and tell them to put an Auburn Gear LSD in it...

They'll quote high but will haggle. Cost should be no more than about $350 for the unit and about $125-150 for the install. If they won't do it for that then there is a 4x4 shop in Cocoa who does, everyday...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
dragracer98
Rookie

or ride on over to your local dodge dealer and buy a 4x4 LOL. Just kidding.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You could throw in a "lunchbox" locker. They slide right into your open differential and lock your axles together. Now, they are a bit noisey, but you could prob install yourself if you are capable and they aren't that expensive.
Here's a bit of an idea what they are.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Unless they've gotten a LOT better in the last 10 years, Lunchbox lockers are NOT very streetable and tend to break easily.
Saw an old boy with one in his Cheby a few years back who tore his rear end to shreds when his tire got wedged between a rock and a stump.
Dunno if I'd trust a lunchbox...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Ride over to 4 Wheel Parts on Colonial and tell them to put an Auburn Gear LSD in it...

They'll quote high but will haggle. Cost should be no more than about $350 for the unit and about $125-150 for the install. If they won't do it for that then there is a 4x4 shop in Cocoa who does, everyday...

That sounds pretty reasonable. I had an Auburn put in my Explorer 10 years ago. Seems the price, back then, was maybe a little more for the install.

PS - I'll be driving down through you state down to Jacksonville next week. I'll be driving the Honda though - it's a lot better on gas!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Unless they've gotten a LOT better in the last 10 years, Lunchbox lockers are NOT very streetable and tend to break easily.
Saw an old boy with one in his Cheby a few years back who tore his rear end to shreds when his tire got wedged between a rock and a stump.
Dunno if I'd trust a lunchbox...

Actually, i'd have to say they belong more on the street than offroad because of what you have described since they offer no real "give" to heavy situations. On pavement your tires would skid which offer the "give" needed.
Yes they are inexpensive, Yes they have their downfalls, but they are an economical solution for someone who has little cash to spare. if you are hard on your ride, then I would say that an Auburn unit or locker is more sufficent while an Auburn is def. more suitable for on road conditions.

It was a mere suggestion for an inexpensive product/install. Would I install one on my truck if I had an open carier...NO! That's why I provided the read/link for him.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The reason why I said it's not very streetable is because the only truck I've ever been in with one installed ratcheted around turns so bad I thought the guy had a spool...

Quick Reply: Lsd options