3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

opinions on Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
ronrobbie7
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the mevotech too, rock auto was best price by far even got the tie rods too for the extra $17 or so a piece, figured easier to change them too then get front end aligned.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigtigga84
not tryin to be a butt, more confused. you say the uca has to be changed, but there are some listed on rock auto as uppers that are just the ball joints, as far as i can see atleast. and for only 37 bucks i doubt they are the whole control arm. please correct me if i am wrong, rather look dumb that be dumb.
So now I have an answer to your question. Just received my Mevotec upper control arm and ball joint and now they are a replaceable ball joint so they are selling just the ball joint as a replacement to there control arm.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:28 PM
bigtigga84
Professional

so once you change to their control arm you can just replace the ball joints correct? makes sense, seems to be a waste of steel to have to replace the control arm every time. unless they can be recycled some how.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 AM
1500hded
Amateur

I just replaced the upper control arms, lower ball joint, and tie rod ends this past weekend.
It got rid of a bump steer problem I was having (new Rancho shocks too).

Upper control arms: Moog, greaseable; The ball joints on these are replaceable.
Lower ball joint: Napa, greaseable
Tie Rod Ends: Mevotech, greaseable

I was going to get everything locally from Napa but all they had was the lower ball joint.
So I purchased everything else from www.rockauto.com

I used the "C" clamp type press from Advance Auto to press out the lower ball joints,
And the front end service kit from the same place to separate the tie rod ends from the spindle.
I had to use a pickle fork (bought one from Harbor Freight) to separate the upper ball joint as none of the pullers I could find would work. I don't like using pickle forks because they damage the ball joint. But since I was replacing the ball joint I didn't care.

I'm still using the stock steering rack, power steering pump and inner tie rod ends. Truck has over 107K miles on it. Well see if these go that distance.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
jorgysram
Amateur

so im rele confused on this upper ball joint thing, is it only certain years that you cant change it on? i was reading the service manual and it should be changeable on the 06 ifs....

Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some years are different. As you noticed the 06 upper BJ can be pressed in and out.

Quick Reply: opinions on Ball Joints