3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Box Stabilizer for 1500 Mega cab?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
shagbert44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can put a price on this type of fix??? I live out on the British Columbia Coast on Vancouver Island and I bought it from Peak Performance in Langley BC and with taxes and shipping it was just under $300 but I consider the alternatives maybe even a severe crash and $300 doesn't even come close to the cost of losing one of my kid's my wife or myself and would have paid whatever aslong as it fixes the problem. Time will tell but so far it seems to be doing what it was intended to do and now I will put the leveling kit back in and see what happens.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, but the question is...Does anyone know of one that fits an '05 2wd?.I got the same problem,the DW.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 AM
shagbert44

Hang on I'll check for you

Last edited by shagbert44; 08-04-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: found new info
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM
shagbert44

Hey rtmtrrdr, if you have a 2500 2wd this same kit will fit because in my instructions it sayd for 4wd models insert bar from front and on 2wd models insert bar from rear. You can visit www.solidsteel.biz and look it up.Number is 1-306-842-4346 hope it helps.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
yes, but the question is...Does anyone know of one that fits an '05 2wd?.I got the same problem,the DW.
You don't have Death Wobble. DW is a SFA specific issue and a design flaw in the Dodge 2500/3500 trucks. You have another problem causing front end vibration. Could be tire balance, alignment or another front end component.

Originally Posted by shagbert44
I don't think you can put a price on this type of fix??? I live out on the British Columbia Coast on Vancouver Island and I bought it from Peak Performance in Langley BC and with taxes and shipping it was just under $300 but I consider the alternatives maybe even a severe crash and $300 doesn't even come close to the cost of losing one of my kid's my wife or myself and would have paid whatever aslong as it fixes the problem.
An excellent point! Besides, this is $300 to cure a design flaw that most dealerships would have you spend upwards of $2000 replacing tie-rods, ball joints, U-joints, etc. WITHOUT fixing the problem!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-04-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
bensonjv

Mine is in the mail. Found one on ebay for $200 shipped. Not a bad price. As mentioned, can't really put a price on this. Which is dead on accurate. I did not mean to imply in my earlier post that I was setting a price point for safety and stability.

Anyway, haven't had the DW occur yet but definitely have the wandering issue. Hoping I never have DW and the wander goes away for good.

Can't help wondering why Dodge has never addressed this from their end. Aftermarket is the only place to find a fix. From what I understand the front end design is a carry-over from the second gens so its been around a bit. The wander and DW is a common and pervasive issue, just ask Google. Simply adding an SBS from the factory (and offering them at the parts counter for older models) would seem a great way to make existing Dodge owners happier and also a great marketing plan to attract new owners.

A good example of how this could be and was done is Harley's isolated drive system sprocket (Their techie name, not mine. I call it the rubber boots inside the sprocket fix). The short version: In 07 the new design of the drive line on the touring models created a lot of unwanted vibration and noise. The solution was this isolated drive system thing which basically put rubber wedges between the wheel and drive sprocket to dampen noise and vibration. Simple fix and it worked. Then, in 08, this became a standard component of the drive line for all new bikes. So the fix was retroactively available to owners of the 07's as an add-on and the 08+ had it already in place. I am not sure why Dodge has not adopted the same approach.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'd go nuts trying to figure out why auto makers do some of the sh*t they do. They've only known about the LSDs imploding and taking out differentials for how long???

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because that would require Dodge to admit that there is a problem. The lawyers don't like it when people admit things by virtue of fixing them.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:06 PM
bensonjv

08 1500 Mega
4x4, 3.73 gears
stock suspension and tires

My SBS is installed. Worth every penny. Wander is all but eliminated. Can't speak to death wobble; have never experienced it. Truck tracks well now and feels like front end is much more engaged with the road.

Last edited by bensonjv; 08-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Stabilizer for 1500 Mega cab?