3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are all 4.9's bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
RamChick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all 4.9's bad news?

I fell in love with a 2002 1500 Ram Quad Cab that I'm considering trading my car for.. and of all the questions I've asked I left out the most important one..5.9L or 4.7L. I know there are a lot of engine sledge issues with the 4.7's, but I would hate for this to be a deal breaker after I've been looking so long and this truck has met all my requirements so far. I'm waiting to hear back on that, but thought I would ask ahead of time if anything just for the knowledge. I posted a previous thread about things to look out for, and I appreciate all your answers and I'm taking them into consideration so if anyone has additional knowledge, that would be great!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think sludge issues for the most part is from people using dino oil and then not changing it often enough.
All engines will develop sludge, but the 4.7 just seems to be more susceptible to engine damage from it. Same as overheating which is not good for ANY engine, but the 4.7 just seems more prone to serious damage from it.
That said, I personally know two people with 4.7s with over 225,000 miles on them and they still run strong.
Don't let the fact that its a 4.7 sway you if it appears to be in good shape. I have a 4.7 in my Grand Cherokee (the HO version of it) and it's solid as hell with 92,000 miles on it!

The only thing I'd probably do is see if where you are buying it is willing to have a compression test done on the engine. Even if you gotta pay the $75 bucks it usually costs for it. Better to spend $75 and walk away from a possible bad engine than buy it and have to sink a couple grand in it right off the bat!
If a compression test comes up clean, then I'd jump on it if the price was right. Then just take good care of it, run synthetic fluids in it and probably change the radiator fluid at about twice the recommended rate, using a product to keep it from developing issues, like Purple Ice.
You do those things and odds are you'll get years of dependable service out of it.

BTW: I've owned GM 4.8s, 5.3s and a Furd 5.4 and I'd take a properly maintained 4.7 over any of them...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-26-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
rickof08
Veteran

I had no problem with my old 287 (rest in peace Big P.) I used it to haul my racecar to and from the track 45 miles away and it did it with ease. My trailer weight is 5500. The truck had 75k miles with no issues but regular maintenance.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
RamChick

Thanks that's reassuring.. I will definately see about a compression test. I planned on taking it to the shop to have it looked over before I made any commitments anyway, but that will give me some more reassurance.
Say the compression test comes up clean..What are some warning signs to look out for? I've been reading horror stories online (of course) of people who notice a drop in pressure and two miles later they need a new engine but then again, I don't always believe what I read..I'm just trying to learn what I can so I don't end up in a sticky situation.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM
RamChick

And I did find out for sure a little bit ago..its a 4.7 Magnum

Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Meezer
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 Ram 1500 4.7L has over 270,000 miles on it.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The problem with reading Forums, is that about 10% of us are "regulars" and the rest are people who come on for solutions to their problems. Often AFTER striking out at their dealer or local mechanic.
For the most part, these folks are upset and frustrated and a good many "just can't believe that the POS just quit on them for no reason" - despite the fact that probably 3/4 of them completely blow off routine maintenance.

If you strictly went by reading forums, you'd come away with believing EVERY Ford, Chevy, 'Yota and Dodge was a pile!

So take what you read with a grain of salt.

As far as the "noticing a drop in pressure" and the engine dying, that would be from sludge more often than not. It will clog the oil sender and then not be able to get into the engine from the pan. And YES, this will kill an engine, ANY engine. The only warning you would get would be by looking at the oil during an oil change and since this is usually caused by NOT changing the oil often enough, you'd get NO warning.

The compression test will tell you how each of the 8 cylinders is performing. Although it's not the "end all" for guaranteeing there are no issues, it will give you the best idea short of a complete tear-down. Odds are if the compression is good in each cylinder, it's a perfectly healthy engine and if you do your part and keep up with the regular maintenance, change the oil regularly, use a good quality oil and keep the radiator in good working order, you should be good for a long time to come...

Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost 75k and running stronger than the day i bought it...i also have a 04 i would change all fluids to synthetic and as hammer said do all things to prevent things from happening i.e e-fan and 180*tstat and make sure the rad fluid is always good if not changed properly....

Quick Reply: Are all 4.9's bad news?