3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leveling shock help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not just put air bags in the back for when pulling a trailer?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beastro
I just tried replacing the front shocks it seems easy but mine are pretty rusty. the stem you hold at the top while you back off the nut that holds the top of the shock on broke off now how the hell do I get the shocks off?
i had to cut my shock off and pound out the stem out

Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I just want confirmation of what I'm thinking here might work...

I know with the '02-'05 with the torsion bars, the Bilstein 5100's will not level the front by themselves. The TB's need to be cranked 1 3/4" - 2", and the stock shocks replaced with shocks that are 2" longer. I see that some '05 and earlier owners, like Marx, have the 5100's. So, am I right in guessing that the lift/level comes from the torsion crank, and the Bilstein's are "passive", as opposed to providing the intended lift/level that they are designed for?

Looks like if I crank the TB's, then I would go with either the Bilstein 5100 or the Pro Comp shocks to provide the extra 2" that the stockers do not. Is there a significant ride difference between the 1500's and the Pro Comp shocks (9000, I think is the model) on the torsion bar setup, as opposed to the coil setup of the later model trucks? I have no problem spending the money, but i've also read Hammer's explanation of the Tenneco umbrella, as well as his bad experience with Bilstein customer service (precisely the reason I'll never own another Volkeswagen).

Anyway... this got longer than originally intended. Long story slightly less longer: I'm good to go with a torsion crank and either the 5100's or the Pro Comps, right?

*EDIT* I have a 3" body lift, but that shouldn't be an issue, right, since this is all suspension to the frame?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 AM
$Piker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Ram 2500 Leveling

I am curious if my stock shocks will work with a 2.5" level on my 07' 2500 or do I also need longer shocks.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Ok, I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I just want confirmation of what I'm thinking here might work...

I know with the '02-'05 with the torsion bars, the Bilstein 5100's will not level the front by themselves. The TB's need to be cranked 1 3/4" - 2", and the stock shocks replaced with shocks that are 2" longer. I see that some '05 and earlier owners, like Marx, have the 5100's. So, am I right in guessing that the lift/level comes from the torsion crank, and the Bilstein's are "passive", as opposed to providing the intended lift/level that they are designed for?

Looks like if I crank the TB's, then I would go with either the Bilstein 5100 or the Pro Comp shocks to provide the extra 2" that the stockers do not. Is there a significant ride difference between the 1500's and the Pro Comp shocks (9000, I think is the model) on the torsion bar setup, as opposed to the coil setup of the later model trucks? I have no problem spending the money, but i've also read Hammer's explanation of the Tenneco umbrella, as well as his bad experience with Bilstein customer service (precisely the reason I'll never own another Volkeswagen).

Anyway... this got longer than originally intended. Long story slightly less longer: I'm good to go with a torsion crank and either the 5100's or the Pro Comps, right?

*EDIT* I have a 3" body lift, but that shouldn't be an issue, right, since this is all suspension to the frame?
You are correct on both counts, you are good to go with the crank and either shock, matter of fact I have a list of longer shock brands and part numbers in the FAQ section.
The ES9000s are a good shock, same as a Skyjacker Nitro series. Obviously Bilstein is the Cadillac of shocks, it's just I had a BIG issue with a company who advertises "off-road" shocks and then wouldn't warranty a bad shock because I used it "off-road".

Body lifts do not effect shock height...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome. Thanks.

*EDIT* Crap. I had done a lot of reading on the FAQ/DIY forum and searches. I have no idea how I missed that thread on the shock part numbers. I see it now. Perfect.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 11-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 AM
$Piker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $Piker
I am curious if my stock shocks will work with a 2.5" level on my 07' 2500 or do I also need longer shocks.
Little help?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: leveling shock help ASAP!