3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Hemi Tick" fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
thomasnchy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hemi Tick" fixed?

I just wanted to let those interested about the popular "hemi tick" what I just went through.
I had my truck in for a ticking noise at my local dealership and they replaced the exhaust manifolds, and I was told that the ticking was from the spring dampners adn to drive it.. Last weekend the truck threw a code, started missing and jerking, and running just all around bad. Just so happened we were 190 miles from home heading to the lake. So I limped it to the nearest Dodge dealer and here is what they found:
Right valve cover gasket leaking into cylinder #2. Causing the coil boots to swell and fail.
#2 intake plug missing grounding strap and electrode
#2 waste plug has ground smashed into electrode.
Plugs in #2 were cross threaded

- Replaced valve cover gaskets
replaced spark plub tube seals on #2
replaced #2 coil
replaced all spark plugs
chased threads in #2 spark plugs

Now, call me crazy, but the ticking is GONE! And the truck runs like a champ, I thought I was just getting used to it, and that was why it didn't feel as "peppy" anymore. NOPE, all the pep is back. And I can pull through a drive-through without being conscious about it!

Of course none of it was covered under my "Max Care" service contract through Chrysler. And I ended up authorizing the use of non-Mopar replacement parts, otherwise I'd have been stuck in Ogallala Nebraska for three days or so. $650.00 later, and some arguing and complaining, I was back on the road. Gotta give kudos to Schmidt motors in Ogallala for helping me out.

There is a little more to the story, as to why Chrysler wouldn't cover the warranty. But in my opinion it should have been caught and repaired correctly when I took it to the dealer for that problem the first time.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah and that max care, is the cat's a$$. thank You Chrysler!!(sarcasm) Very happy too hear it worked out, yet another instance where waranty coverage is really not covering anything. But back too the tick issue, I think you had more than a tick, I just did my plugs. And I still have it. maybe not as pronounced but I gotta listen more closely. now that you posted this thread.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing that was repaced is the causeof the notorious "Hemi tick" Either they changed the oil to quiet it down or you never actually had the Hemi tick to begin with?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM
brettj2408
Captain

we see coils swelling quite a bit.

glad to hear you got it fixed. too bad the first dealer couldnt get it right the first time!

for those of you who still have the tick, make sure your plugs are properly gapped and are copper cores.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by brettj2408

for those of you who still have the tick, make sure your plugs are properly gapped and are copper cores.
the tick isn't from the plugs or else my truck came with th wrong plugs and incorrect gap from the factory. Mine started at 400 miles. Plugs don't cause any ticking sound even if you had the wrong plugs in and they were incorrectly gapped.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im curious as to who cross threaded the spark plug and HOW they did it when the plug goes straight down

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
thomasnchy
Amateur

I could be wrong. Maybe the "notorious tick" that everyone else has herd was different than mine. My "tick" was extreemly noticible when at idle next to any barrier- ie car, wall, etc. Nonetheless, it IS gone. So, i'd have to say that something was done that cured the (my) tick. Expecially after 200 miles @ 85mph and another 100 in-town driving. The only thing I here now is the belt and fan. As far as the oil goes- well, I checked it when I left town, and I checked it when I picked it up, and it was on the same spot on the hash marks, not new oil. I had the plugs changed at a Ferd dealership for convience at 29k, and my dealership denies ever pulling the valve covers when I took it in the first time for the tick. So my dealership claims Ferd messed up. I sent an e-mail to Chrysler, I might have been drinking, and havent herd back... hmm, wonder why?
At any rate, I'd have to go with checking for proper plugs, plug gaps, and oil leaks in the plug tubes.
If the tick comes back, then its on another street for me.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
thomasnchy
Amateur

Weedahoe- I had the local Ferd dealership install new plugs @ 29,000 miles (I have an account there, and it was convienent) I don't understand it either. But I'll betcha who does my next plug change.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As hard as these plugs are too change, you should be getting reimbersed by the dealer for screwing up the first spk plg change and creating an unsafe atmosphere for you and your family. there is nobody that takes these motors lightly and your dealer knows it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rocket23
you should be getting reimbersed by the dealer for screwing up the first spk plg change.
Good luck on getting that to happen. The dealer will just blame the other dealer. That's why my truck will never go to the dealer unless I have something major wrong that will be covered.

Quick Reply: "Hemi Tick" fixed?