3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats best tire for snow on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 PM
mattwv88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats best tire for snow on the market?

I want a good looking mud tire such as the Toyo M/T or something like it but I have heard that they do not do well on snow covered roads and we have allot of those here in WV. Whats everyones thoughts on the best tire for snow? I would rather not go with a snow tire because I think they look like crap and I want something that looks good.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

I have had good luck with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's in Vail Colorado. Also had good luck with Nokian Hakkapaliitta tires. They actually worked the best in snow...but didn't seem to last as long and definitely don't look as good as the Revo's. I just put the Revo 2 on my ram a month ago. Reason being they are great in snow (did well on packed and fresh powder), ice, rain, and hydroplaning... I am hoping to be moving back to colorado in the next year and wanted to make sure what ever i put on would do well when i moved. No snow in georgia but just tried them in an emergency stop when some one hydroplaned and was side ways in front of me 2 weeks ago. Truck slowed from 70 to 40 with out loosing my a@$ end at all. Been quite happy with the new version of one of my favorite tires.

Both are Mud/Snow rated so they both worked for colorado laws for driving in the snow without chains

Last edited by xtremekramer; 08-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 PM
2008 ram 1500

We had a VERY mild winter here in Ottawa so I didn't get the chance to "test" my Goodyear Duratrac tires. They are 4 season on and off road tires, pretty aggressive looking and they are "Severe weather" rated, which means that they qualify as "winter" tires, they have the little mountain and snowflake logo on them.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on the type of snow you are talking about. For deep snow, a Mud Tire works best. For plowed, hard packed snow an All Terrain tire does better. For ice you want a LOT of siping on a tire with the least amount of voids.

Of course the best tire for any and all of the above would be a studded tire.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

studs and chains are illegal in Ontario, it sucks

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
jarrodwilson

i ride on mastercraft courser c/t which is a great tire in the snow. it is also a studded tire. so if your driving in ice and snow or even mud, they are a good choice!

Last edited by jarrodwilson; 08-08-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Tazman40
Professional

Dont go with the Cooper Zeon.I was in 4 wheel drive last winter here in upstate Ny more than i wasnt.Great tire in mud and dirt but not worth a rats *ss in the snow

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazman40
Dont go with the Cooper Zeon.I was in 4 wheel drive last winter here in upstate Ny more than i wasnt.Great tire in mud and dirt but not worth a rats *ss in the snow

You know, I've read posts by guys up north where they said the Zeons were the best tire they've ever had in the snow and posts by guys up yonder who said, just like you, that they were really bad in the snow???

Looking at the tread pattern, I can see where they wouldn't be that great on the hard packed or slushy roads. Lots of voids between some fairly aggressive blocks.

For those situations, something along the lines of a Toyo Open Country A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler or Mickey Thompson ATZ that places a lot of heavily siped, very closely placed blocks on the road surface would be the best bet. Ever wonder why a snowmobile does what it does? Look at how much surface area the track places on the snow and ice.

These would work pretty well also... LOL!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
glass3222
Captain

I know you said you do not want a snow tire, but here is what I use in the winter here in PA.

Hankook Winter I*Pike

I have been very impressed with these tires in deep snow, slush, hardpack, and even icy roads.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 PM
tsnyder
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You know, I've read posts by guys up north where they said the Zeons were the best tire they've ever had in the snow and posts by guys up yonder who said, just like you, that they were really bad in the snow???

Looking at the tread pattern, I can see where they wouldn't be that great on the hard packed or slushy roads. Lots of voids between some fairly aggressive blocks.

For those situations, something along the lines of a Toyo Open Country A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler or Mickey Thompson ATZ that places a lot of heavily siped, very closely placed blocks on the road surface would be the best bet. Ever wonder why a snowmobile does what it does? Look at how much surface area the track places on the snow and ice.

These would work pretty well also... LOL!!!

i got my zeons last year right before winter and they do suck worse actually than old set of trailcutters that were worn the $%^ out.and just as bad on gravel roads and so forth good highway/streettire.
of all the tires iv been looking for with good amount of sipes and some heavy lugs and sidewall lugs and stud holes are the goodyear duratrac iv read some good reviews to.Also here in alberta i can run studded tires year round so

Quick Reply: Whats best tire for snow on the market?