3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Most Bang for the Buck?? Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
ronbadgers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I think I learned a little bit about it. If I comprehended correctly, the larger gears will turn the driveshaft faster, thus providing more towing power/acceleration. Just by snooping through it would seem that 4:10 gears would probably be best for me? I have a couple questions about them though.

1.) Approximately how much would the gear upgrade cost me? $700-1000? My truck is a 4x4.

2.) Would the money allow me to actually feel the effects of the gear upgrade? Would it be a actual difference in acceleration? Just how much of a difference would it make...

3.) Would long trips in my truck mess with the gears at all? I read something that someone with upgraded gears took his truck on a longer trip, about 500 miles, and it was ruined. My cabin is about 300 miles away so in case I have to drive up there I don't want her dying on me.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by ronbadgers
Okay I think I learned a little bit about it. If I comprehended correctly, the larger gears will turn the driveshaft faster, thus providing more towing power/acceleration. Just by snooping through it would seem that 4:10 gears would probably be best for me? I have a couple questions about them though.
What gear ratio do you have now? Chances are that it's a 3.55 or a 3.92. Those seem to be the most common factory ratios. If you already have a 3.92, changing to a 4.10 will not make much of a difference.

1.) Approximately how much would the gear upgrade cost me? $700-1000? My truck is a 4x4.
I'll let someone else answer that, but I'd say that the $1000 figure is more accurate. I haven't had gears done in a long time.

2.) Would the money allow me to actually feel the effects of the gear upgrade? Would it be a actual difference in acceleration? Just how much of a difference would it make...
Changing from a 3.55 to a 4.10 would definitely make a difference. You'll feel it, especially when you're cruising along and lean into the throttle a little. Acceleration times will be measurably better and you'll find that when towing or climbing hills, your truck will not need to downshift as frequently. You will have somewhat higher RPMs when cruising at a steady speed.

It's not going to be like the difference between night and day. the change from a 3.55 to 4.10 would, in my opinion, be like a half of a downshift. That is, it would be about 1/2 the difference of changing from 4th to 3rd gear in your transmission.

I'll let those that have made the change on their Ram to give you a better description.

3.) Would long trips in my truck mess with the gears at all? I readsomething that someone with upgraded gears took his truck on a longer trip, about 500 miles, and it was ruined. My cabin is about 300 miles away so in case I have to drive up there I don't want her dying on me.
No. Properly installed gears will not give you any trouble, and will last the life of the truck. Unless you abuse them by driving the Rubicon or something like that!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 PM
ronbadgers

I guess I dont know what the gear ratio is right now. How can I find that out?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

On my 2004, there's a sticker on the inside of the glove box door. There's also a tag hanging from the rear axle, near the right wheel. I'm "blessed" with the 3.55 axle ratio, which in this hilly area, isn't ideal.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Re-gearing is gonna run you at least $600 per axle (so that's $1200 minimum for a 4x4). If you have factory 3.92 gears you'll be ok with tires up to about 35" max. unless you are looking for performance or tow/haul a lot.

Do your crank for now, get you a nice set of 33" x 12.5" tires and enjoy your truck for a while. Look at Nitto Terra Grapplers, VERY solid all-terrain tire that won't break the bank...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
ronbadgers

Yes I think the gear switch will have to wait for now. I have a feeling the gear ratio may be a 3.92 already anyways.

Just by cranking the torsion bar I will get high enough to the point where there will be no rubbing correct?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You could run 33s now, I'd not go crazy on the crank as the higher you lift the front, the more stress is placed on the CV axles. Too much and they could fail on you. You DON'T want an axle to snap on you!

Just crank it up an inch and a half or so, put you some 33s on there (if you crank'd all the way dead level you could squeeze 35s in there, but there'd not be any room for flexing). Get you some nice wheels if you can afford them with some nice aggressive tires...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
ronbadgers

What spec would be 33 inch tires? 295 or 305? I love those Nitto tires!

And I really have no clue what kind of wheels I would want. . . . There are so many choices!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

something around a 295/70/17 would be a good fit. I have Cepek FCIIs on my truck, NOT a cheap tire by any means, but have those Nittos on my 4 wheel drive Grand Cherokee. They are a great tire on pavement, especially wet pavement and a good tire off road as long as the mud ain't too deep...

Name:  100_0147.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  128.9 KB

Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Those Nittos look good on the Cherokee.

I just got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers put on my truck yesterday. Haven't had a chance to put them to much of a test, but I will say that they're fairly quiet and they grip the dry road, dirt, and gravel well. If it ever rains again, I'll get a chance to test them on something a little bit closer to mud.

I got the stock size. They look good. I'll have to update my picture.

Quick Reply: Most Bang for the Buck?? Suggestions please