3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

troubles after tune up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
joshlakercanadatech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubles after tune up

I am working on a 04 ram 5.7 l hemi..... recently done a tune up and now turck misfires on cold start up..... Only codes present are P0300 (random misfire) and a couple O2 sensors codes on bank 2..... everyhting looks good in my data stream..... I have been reading up on it a bit and some people think valve spring issue..... I am not convinced yet to pull a valve cover as everyone who has this valve spring issue has a rich code as well..... anyone have any other suggestions

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you reset the PCM?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
joshlakercanadatech

I didnt think i needed to with just doing spark plugs and wires.... i have heard that some people believe there is a possible update however i do not have the resources to obtain that information without taking it tothe dealer (I was going to do that as a last resort).... is there a way to reset the PCM without taking it to the dealer (Ex. disconnect battery)

Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya just pull the pcm fuse for 10 mins and then put it pack in, these trucks have memorys and its timing is set for all the old parts ie spark plugs so it should do the job.
i always reset the pcm when i do anything under the hood

Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
joshlakercanadatech

sounds good I will try that tomorrow... I will let you know if it works..... heres to crossing fingers

Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM
brettj2408
Captain

also make sure all your coil packs are tightened down

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
joshlakercanadatech

tryed resetting PCM by removing fuse for 10 minutes and didnt seem to help.... today I checked fuel pressure (Good 60 psi).... The snap on guy came in today and let us use his solus scanner to find misfire data.... got the misfire data up on the screen and it says that there are no misfires when you can definatly feel it missing so that was no help...... i removed all 8 plugs under coils and you can tell its running lean.... I put these plugs in a week ago and they look crusty white..... did a compression test to eliminate possible valve spring issue (all at 160)..... I plan to put it back together this afternoon (after cleaning the plugs up) and checking vacuum..... The boss already ordered a 02 sensor cause of the bank 2 sensor 1 code I am getting.... we are thinking possibly that sensor could be making her run lean.... dont know.... Its a last resort.... Not so sure its going to fix it but its another step forward

Quick Reply: troubles after tune up