3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long you been running with the 87?
If a long time, you might wish to change out the plugs.
Al.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Yeah I just bought the truck, im guessing the previous owner may have been using 87 for a long time. I changed out the plugs yesterday, so I may fill up w/ 93 today to balance out the half tank left of 87 and reset the PCM. Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yeah, it's a good thing to change those plugs and now fill up with higher grade gas.
You don't want to goose your new plugs again.
Al.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m3summ
Ok guys, thanks for all of your help. I jacked up the truck and put all 4 wheels in the air. First I went under there and manually shifted the transfer case linkage back and forth several times. I started the truck then put it in drive. I let therear wheels roll, then put it in 4wd 4lo etc several times. It looks like im good now. Maybe it was just stuck in 4wd. No more shudder while turning. Also I reset the PCM. the truck feels totally different. Im gonna fill up w/ 89 once this tank runs out, half tank left and well see what she does. Ill reset the PCM again after the new tank of fuel. I appreciate all of your help, hopefully I can return the advice one day. Thanks!
glade you figured it out
make sure you use your 4wd atleast once a month (on a loose surface of course) for about 100ft just to get all that stuff lubed in there so it dosent happen again!!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 AM
m3summ
Rookie

Hey guys my happiness was short lived. I took the truck out yesterday and it made the vibration again. It only does it while turning and accelerating from a stop. Like when you back out or into a driveway. It does it for a second or so. No vibration or problems while driving straight at any other speed. Does it sound like a rear clutch pack issue or U joint? Im guessing its more a clutch pack issue because it only does it while turning. Any thoughts? thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
freestyledude
Captain

maybe change the rear diff fluid and play with the amount of friction modifier

Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 PM
m3summ
Rookie

OK, right after I posted today I went outside and replaced the diff. fluid in both Diffs. The front ones oil was black and looked low. The rear was not that bad but changed them both out with the Valvoline synthetic 75/140. I was told this has the friction modifier already in it. I went down the shore today, about 160 round trip. I didnt feel any vibration, truck feels good. The u joints may be on their way out, I get a clank when shifting into reverse. ANyway Ill keep you guys posted. thanks again!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
freestyledude
Captain

right on! good to hear

Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Well I seem to be narrowing down the vibration. If I make a tight turn and accelerate, I get this vibration/shudder almost like someone is kicking you under the seat. Theres nothing rubbing that I can see. If I put it in neutral while its vibrating it seems to stop immediately. Do you guys think it could be a tranny mount? I can move the trans up about 1/2" with a pry bar between the trans and mount. there are no tears in the mount that I can see. Any help I would greatly appreciate.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 AM
freestyledude
Captain

if you coast the corner does it still do it?
May just be your limited slip kicking in

Quick Reply: Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.