3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM
m3summ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.

hey guys, I just bought my first 2004 Ram Hemi 4x4 4dr. 40k miles. I have a few questions, hopefully you guys can help. When I turn and accelerate at the same time I fell like a "shudder" or vibration coming from the front of the truck. In a straight line acceleration it doesnt happen, only if I accelerate while turning. Any thoughts? Never feel any vibrations etc. while driving, just while turning. Truck has the stock 20" wheels with new tires. K&N intake, the rest is stock. Should I be running 87 octane or 89? Thanks for any help. I tried searching prior to posting this, but did not find anything.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

89 octane... guys will argue this point on end and post up where the manual says 87 is OK (at a sacrifice of performance) but EVERYBODY I know who has had major cylinder issues have run 87 consistently. Besides you should see enough of a mpg difference to offset the cost.

As far as the shuddering while turning, I'd look at tie rod ends for play first...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Hammer Z71, thank you so much for your quick reply. I took a quick look when I got home from work, didn't see anything loose or worn under there. I will jack it up and check the wheel bearing, and as you suggested the tire rod ends. Thanks for the advice on the octane, ill be putting in the 89. thanks!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you in 4 wheel drive?
do you have electronic 4WD switch or the manual stick on the floor?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
m3summ
Rookie

I have the manual stick on the floor. I checked that twice and made sure it was in 2wd. But that was my first thought, it felt like it was in 4wd on dry pavement. That nails it on the head as too what it feels like and when it does it.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Yeah, that does sound like it's in 4WD. If you didn't do it already, take the truck out on a dirt trail or straight road and operate in 4-lo, 4-hi, and 2-hi to make sure you are securly in the right position.

I wonder if the 4WD linkage could be out of adjustment so that even though you're in the 2wd position and the 4WD light is NOT lit, you're still in 4WD.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
Yeah, that does sound like it's in 4WD. If you didn't do it already, take the truck out on a dirt trail or straight road and operate in 4-lo, 4-hi, and 2-hi to make sure you are securly in the right position.

I wonder if the 4WD linkage could be out of adjustment so that even though you're in the 2wd position and the 4WD light is NOT lit, you're still in 4WD.
Thats a great idea! Im gonna try that, it certainly would make sense. Im gonna look into it tom. and ill let you guys know how I make out. thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Here's something else, from my Haynes Repair manual. For the manual shift transfer case:

To check linkage adjustment, move the shift lever into the 2H position. When in 2H, the transfer case range lever (on the transfer case) should be in the second position from full forward.

I'm too slow to type the full instruction for adjustment, but the information should be available somewhere.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Ok thanks! I get the idea based on what you posted. Ill give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
m3summ
Rookie

Ok guys, thanks for all of your help. I jacked up the truck and put all 4 wheels in the air. First I went under there and manually shifted the transfer case linkage back and forth several times. I started the truck then put it in drive. I let therear wheels roll, then put it in 4wd 4lo etc several times. It looks like im good now. Maybe it was just stuck in 4wd. No more shudder while turning. Also I reset the PCM. the truck feels totally different. Im gonna fill up w/ 89 once this tank runs out, half tank left and well see what she does. Ill reset the PCM again after the new tank of fuel. I appreciate all of your help, hopefully I can return the advice one day. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.