3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 AM
m3summ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I coast into the corner it doesnt do it. Say I pull into my driveway, which is a little steep. Ill slow down to pull in, turn then accelerate up the driveway ill fell it shudder right under my seat for a second then it goes away. If im making a k turn in my driveway ill feel it shudder while turning and accelerating.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Do you have a factory limited slip, or perhaps an Auburn? Reason I ask is that Auburn recommends NOT using synthetic in their LSD but instead regular oil with the friction modifier/LSD additive added in the prescribed amount.

I had an Auburn in my Exploder. I changed the lube one time, and didn't put enough of the additive in. When I turned, especially really tight turns, you could hear and feel the limited slip binding and releasing a couple of times a second. Kind of a "chunk-chunk-chunk-chunk..." noise.

Once I changed it again and put the proper amount of additive in, it was quiet and smooth again.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
m3summ
Rookie

it has the stock anti slip rears with the 3.92 gearing. Im going to look at it now and try to find what is wrong. thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

I don't think that the synthetic gear lube is a problem with the factory setup. Seems to be an Auburn issue only.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Ok, I think I may have solved the problem. I took off the driveshaft so I could check the u joints accurately, there was no play. I scratched my head all afternoon since everything appeared ok, so my problem pointed to the rear end. I checked everythign and everything looked ok, so I decided to pick up 4oz. of friction modifier to add to the synthetic valvoline I just put in the other day. I figured it wont hurt, because if I have to rebuild the rear clutch packs etc. then I may as well try this. So I added the 4oz. of the modifier and viola! no more chatter!!! Truck feels great. I tried for about an hour to get it to chatter where it would before, and I couldnt get it to do it. Thanks to all of you guys who took the time to help me!

Quick Reply: Hey guys, need help with my 04 hemi.