3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No "Key On" Power at Radio??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No "Key On" Power at Radio??

I can't understand why I'm not seeing a key on power lead to the radio. I started out trying to put in an after market CD player. I bought the wiring harness adapter and hooked everything up and the CD player doesn't work. I KNOW the CD player is not bad. I poked around and found that there is no wire in the truck harness attached to the plug where the key on wire is for the CD player end of the harness. So I bust out the trusty Fluke and check voltages and such tracking wires. And it seems that there are 2 wires that have power full time (provided the battery is hooked up properly and charged), a ground wire, two wires for dimming the display, and the rest are the + - for speakers.

It doesn't matter much anymore anyway cuz I made the CD player work on a temporary basis by jumper wires tying its key on and full power together, and found that the CD player sounds like crap in this truck. And I have aftermarket speakers as well, but the factory CD player sounds better...I can't hardly believe that. I'm wondering if it's just the low gauge wiring going to the speakers that can't carry the power from the amplifier of the aftermarket CD player.

Anyway, it doesn't make much sense to me how the factory radio works only with the key on (or acc) but doesn't work with the key off, when it has two power leads with key off

Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are using a universal plug adapter right? You should be able to color em up and be fine. The two with power all the time are the red(power) and yellow(memory).

What kind of CD player did you get? I have all the factory wiring in mine and my aftermarket speakers sound great, Im not using them for any bass though.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

It's a Pioneer that I've had for 13 years. Speakers are 4 Infinity Kappa 6x9. I have the same Chrysler Vehicles harness adapter that I've used for like 10 years...If I tie the red and yellow wires together, it works fine (except it'll run all the time unless I turn it off directly)...but if you look at the harness, where the red wire is in the adapter, there is no wire there on the truck...and none of the wires on the truck show 12V with key on (except the two that show have it ALL the time)

Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
glass3222
Captain

I think '06 is when dodge changed to the CAN BUS, so you need a different adapter like THIS.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by glass3222
I think '06 is when dodge changed to the CAN BUS, so you need a different adapter like THIS.
$70 for a stupid harness to power a radio?? SCREW THAT, I'll tap in a wire from the cig lighter outlet...the one on driver side that had lighter in it is only key on the one on passenger side is powered all the time...not like it'd be an inconvenience cuz in order to make aftermarket sound good I gotta run all new speaker wires anyway

Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
$70 for a stupid harness to power a radio?? SCREW THAT, I'll tap in a wire from the cig lighter outlet...the one on driver side that had lighter in it is only key on the one on passenger side is powered all the time...not like it'd be an inconvenience cuz in order to make aftermarket sound good I gotta run all new speaker wires anyway
Im not so sure about these dodges but some makes have started running some computer functions through the radio (door chimes and stuff). Ive seen weird things happen when those data loops do not get closed properly.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
glass3222
Captain

Originally Posted by AWE Daniel
Im not so sure about these dodges but some makes have started running some computer functions through the radio (door chimes and stuff). Ive seen weird things happen when those data loops do not get closed properly.
+1...do a search on here, I think I remember someone trying to tap into a 12v and stuff not working right.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by glass3222
+1...do a search on here, I think I remember someone trying to tap into a 12v and stuff not working right.
Eh, as an electrical engineer, if I can't make it work, then I will live with the factory radio before I spend that kind of money just to plug in an after market...Maybe if I bought a brand new after market system, then $70 extra would be nothing. But since I've had the Cd player for years, and traded for the new speakers, I'm not spending that kind of money.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

heres the wiring

Radio 12v gray/red + radio harness

Radio Ground black and black/lt. green - radio harness

Radio Ignition (CAN data bus)

Radio Illumination N/A

Factory Amp Turn-on N/A

Power Antenna N/A

LF Speaker +/- dk. grn/yel - dk. grn/lt. blue +,- radio harness or amp behind glovebox

RF Speaker +/- gray/yellow - gray/lt. blue +,- radio harness or amp behind glovebox

LR Speaker +/- gray/lt. grn - gray/dk. grn +,- radio harness or amp behind glovebox

RR Speaker +/- dk. grn/lt. grn - dk. grn/gray +,- radio harness or amp behind glovebox

so you need the special harness

you could alway upgrade to the mopar dvd nav

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
pousaan
Professional

You don't need a special harness for your truck. I just bought the chrysler wiring harness that fits all vehicles from 74-and up. You just plug it to your existing harness, and wire all the wires that come with your pioneer deck to the wires in the harness. Then just take the red accessory wire that is in your pioneer harness, and wire it to a switched source in your truck. I just tied into the cig lighter because when you take the bezel off it is readily accessible.

Here is the wiring for your truck:

+12V: Grey / Red
Radio Ground: Black and Black/Light Green
Radio Ignition (CAN data bus) ** See Note
LF Speaker +: Dark Green/Yellow
LF Speaker -: Dark Green/Light Blue
RF Speaker +: Gray/yellow
RF Speaker -: Gray/Light Blue
LR Speaker +: Gray/Light Green
LR Speaker -: Gray/Dark Green
RR Speaker +: Dark Green/Light Green
RR Speaker -: Dark Green/Gray

NOTE: Switch is the pink/white wire in the ignition harness....your cigarette lighter is a switching source also...

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: No "Key On" Power at Radio??