3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 5.7 20" wheels: Dual Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
shadow0619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 5.7 20" wheels: Dual Exhaust Question

Ok so I've generally shy'd away from any performance mods for my vehicles as they are my daily drivers. I'm normally concerned that I am going to impact the life of the engine and/or tranny etc... I bought an 04 ram recently that already has a k&n cold air intake and the guy that sold it to me, and my brother were pushing for an aftermarket cat back dual exaust. I found a couple on ebay that are really cheap ( the auction is listed below ), and I have some questions for the experts here:
1. Does changing the exhaust have any impact to anything on the car that I might not be thinking about?

2. I have a friend that could do the welding if need be, but does anyone know if I'm going to run into some problems that I haven't thought about?

3. Is there likely going to be a problem with any of these cheaper ones like in the link below?

4. I know some have a flowmaster muffler is there a particular name that I should avoid/look for?

5. Will this do anything for or against my current MPG?

6. Is there anything else I should know about that I haven't already asked?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Thanks for all the help as always I appreciate it!!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadow0619
1. Does changing the exhaust have any impact to anything on the car that I might not be thinking about?

2. I have a friend that could do the welding if need be, but does anyone know if I'm going to run into some problems that I haven't thought about?

3. Is there likely going to be a problem with any of these cheaper ones like in the link below?

4. I know some have a flowmaster muffler is there a particular name that I should avoid/look for?

5. Will this do anything for or against my current MPG?

6. Is there anything else I should know about that I haven't already asked?
1. no
2. no
3. yes i would not get a cheap on off ebay, you don't really know what the metal is made of and could rust out in a year and i bet the muffler will sound like crap
4. I personally have a maganfow setup and love it
5. you will gain 1 mpg paired with a CAI
6. for a good setup your looking at $800

this is just my opinion i'm sure other will chime in
and you get what you pay for

Last edited by Marx; 08-17-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is what I think

1) no
2) any mig welder can handle it if it is all pre-bent and cut
3) the only issue I see is it is "comparable to a original FM40" and those are really loud with A LOT of interior resonance. It will give you a headache for sure. If you are going to get something like that then at least get something comparable to the Delta FM40 where the interior resonance is much less
4) Again, if i were to get another FM it would be a Delta 40 and not the original 40 but if you ask me what i would get, after having a FM and not having Magnaflows, I would vote for the Magnaflows
5) Some say it could increase but mine decreased because I learned how and when to hold my foot on the pedal to make the exhaust sound off which burnt more gas.
6) Go get a Magnaflow and call some shops to see what they would charge to bend and weld the pipes or try to find a pre-made system and get your buddy to weld it if you trust his skills

Quick Reply: 04 5.7 20" wheels: Dual Exhaust Question