3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noob with some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:53 AM
BrandonWallace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with some ?'s

Whats up guys, I just bought a 08 1500 4wd with the hemi. So far I have fell in love with the truck, and now im ready to add a few goodies to it. So far I have a flowmaster exhaust, and this is where i have a few questions. I guess I want to get a little more Hp out of it and Im thinkin about a cai,programer, and maybe a throttle body from fast man dan
(i think thats right). I reckon im just looking for some sugestions on the order i should buy them wih and some brand names. I have read though many many threads and still really dont know where to go with my decsions. Here is another ? that I have. There is a guy i work with that just bought a new challenger RT and he is one of them ppl that you never hear the end of what he has and what he can do. Is it stupid to think with a these mods that I could out run him?

For the CAI I have thought about everything from the cheep ebay ones to the K&n and AEM.

Programer I really dont know what to pick.

The fast man dan throttle body is it worth it, does it help?

I guess im done rambling on haha Im adjusting to evening shift so when I go back and read this post in the morning Im sure I will see how stupid it sounded when I posted it haha so take it easy on me

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cheap CAI's are fine. I have one and so do several others. However, do a thread search and see how the guys make thier own CAIs.

As for a programmer, if you are not planning on going with a big cam and custom tuning I would get a Superchips with the transmission tunes. Model SC3865 is what you would look for

The ported TBs do make a difference. They allow more air in and make the truck more peppy and quick to respond

Be sure to read HERE for all the FAQ's and more of what you are looking for.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by BrandonWallace
Here is another ? that I have. There is a guy i work with that just bought a new challenger RT and he is one of them ppl that you never hear the end of what he has and what he can do. Is it stupid to think with a these mods that I could out run him?
You aren't going to take him. he's running a 6.1 pushing 375 HP with no bolt ons and weighing in at just over 4k lbs. Your running a 5.7 @ 310 HP weighing in at, depending on if it's a quad cab or regular cab, 4900-5300 lbs.

nateroach

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The 6.1L is 425hp while our 5.7L is 345hp. My 2wd Hemi quadcab weighs 5280 with a full tank of gas.
I would ditch the Flowmaster and get a Magnaflow. The Flowmaster is louder but flows no better then the stock muffler.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Make your own CAI. It's not that hard and you can put a K&N filter on it for good measure. As said before get the superchips tuner. You will have to do some major modding and I mean MAJOR to be able to take him.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by lxman1
The 6.1L is 425hp while our 5.7L is 345hp. My 2wd Hemi quadcab weighs 5280 with a full tank of gas.
I would ditch the Flowmaster and get a Magnaflow. The Flowmaster is louder but flows no better then the stock muffler.
lxman, you are correct. I was going off the msn auto's specs. Now that I look closer, it states that the R/T has the 5.7 standard @ 372 HP, with the 08 RAM HEMI putting down 345. You still have the large weight disparity though.

nateroach

Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
BrandonWallace

The challenger has the Hemi also , my truck is regular cab and short wheel base. Thanks for the replys guys, I have raced 4wheelrs my whole life so picking up the extra Hp in a truck is about the same as my quads. I was reading a thread last night about making the 4in cold air, but i dont think i seen any specs for it. Thats somthing that we could do pretty easy, I think I will start out with the home made CAI and maybe the thorttle body.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

If you're wanting to pick up a quick 15 or so hp plus some mpg, change out the mechanical fan for an e-fan. There's lots of threads on this. Just do a search and you'll find it. There's also a write up in the DIY section of the 3rd gen.

Quick Reply: Noob with some ?'s